Download and Exit?

Started by Scott, July 26, 2008, 06:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

This is minor but it's been bugging me for a long time.

When product updates are found, a "Download and Exit" button appears.  But when clicked, it downloads, but...  Doesn't exit.  Neither ProcessLasso.exe nor ProcessGovernor.exe exit.

Hotrod

Only the update window exits. You have to manually install the update file and it will close both exe's and restart with the updated version. I recommended on the old forum to make this process more automatic so it requires less user input and even novices could do it. I am sure Jeremy is looking into it.  ;)

Scott

Well that's counterintuitive, to me anyway.  You don't "Exit" a dialog; you close it.  I always thought the applications themselves were supposed to "Exit", since it only makes sense to do so before updating.  I always do it manually anyway, since I want to be sure there won't be an issue with letting the installer do it.

Hotrod

But wouldn't it be simpler to just click an "Update Now!!" button and have the application download the file into it's own directory and then extract install and restart all in one fell swoop without user intervention to foul things up (like losing the download directory or the install to directory) ?

Scott

Yeah, that would be ideal.  I love applications that update easily like that.  (Except I'd expect the installer EXE to download to %temp% not the program dir, but same idea...)

I wasn't criticizing your idea, just the "Download and Exit" button.  :)

Hotrod

No worries. ;D I just like going at the major issue rather than messing with tiny things like which box closes. The real fix would be an entire update overhaul, IMHO.  ;) I'm sure it will be looked at after the vista issues are dealt with. I think I will stick with XP till the bugs are worked out. LMAO

Scott

I agree, go with the major issue, but my whole point in opening this thread was confusion over whether or not what I was seeing was correct behavior.

I'm running the Beyond Compare 3 beta, and when it detects updates (which it optionally does), it puts a little alert in the upper right corner, and if you click it, it automatically downloads and installs the update, and restarts, bringing you right back to where you were.  That's pretty cool stuff.

As far as Vista goes, I get pissed off every time I see it or read or hear about it.  My only experience with that asshole OS is trying to help the poor people who have it installed on their laptops, which, being short of mainframe-level machines, can't run it with any sort of performance that I would have deemed acceptable in 1994.  It's like trying to run WinXP on a P66.  Lots of clown suit bullshit and annoying dialogs with cutesy widdle sounds, but no real features.  Oh wait, there's BitLock!  I'm sure there is no backdoor in that!  No, really!  Come on, it's only a $300 upgrade if you want to go from WinXP Pro!  Open your wallet and spread your cheeks one last time, you know you want to!

Sorry, had a few glasses of wine tonight...  :)  That doesn't affect my opinions, it only affects how freely I express them.  :)

Jeremy Collake

I just kinda skimmed over this, and while I am working on a better update mechanism, the 'Download and Exit' is supposed to cause Process Lasso to exit -- as you expected it should. It may take it a few seconds, as it waits for your web browser to be launched and start the download.

Furthermore, the installer should close all instances of Process Lasso and Process governor in case it didn't self-terminate.

So, something is not behaving right on your system (and others)... It may be related to multiple users logged in the system, is that your case by chance? Also, what web browser are you using by default?

I've not seen this happen in my test cases, so will have to look into it. I may defer the problem to be fixed in the pending overhaul of the update mechanism.

Thanks.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Scott

Ah, thanks, I thought the button was supposed to make PL exit.  I have only one user logged in the vast majority of the time--I only rarely use Fast User Switching.  My default browser is Firefox 3.0.

Hotrod

I am the sole user on my PC running XP Home. This has always worked this way for me. PL never closes until you run the actual update file. I am using IE7. The "Download and Exit" button opens my browser and then closes the update box. I am prompted for the download and accept it, save the file, scan it and have to start it manually. I am reasonably confident with the software now and could easily skip the save and scan steps. I just do it out of habit for security reasons.

P.S. : I am running PL on 4 PC's and it reacts this way on ALL of them. Same OS and browser on all 4.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on August 03, 2008, 12:30:31 PM
P.S. : I am running PL on 4 PC's and it reacts this way on ALL of them. Same OS and browser on all 4.

Ok, thanks for the extended reports guys. I believe I didn't look closely enough in my cursory tests. I am going to review all applicable code here and get things sorted out.. and much improved I think.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.