New feature: Password protect configuration (coming in v3.53.6 beta)

Started by Jeremy Collake, March 19, 2009, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

This feature will help those wishing to protect the configuration from casual changes by unauthorized users. After some more testing and review here, this latest beta will be released. This may happen later today.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

This version was released, with one post-release update to fix a problem with the 'Remove password' button.

RDMTECH

So far so good.  I haven't run into any issues.

Is this functionality going to be exposed via the silent installation and the command line?

Jeremy Collake

Good question.. Yea, I'll go ahead and add support for it.

Hotrod

Just a thought. Would it be possible(in a distant future build), to make this so that an Admin could make the password apply only to specific features/functions/options and yet allow the basic user to modify the more simple options to their taste? Maybe a GUI with checkboxes for which options would be affected.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on March 22, 2009, 03:00:42 PM
Just a thought. Would it be possible(in a distant future build), to make this so that an Admin could make the password apply only to specific features/functions/options and yet allow the basic user to modify the more simple options to their taste? Maybe a GUI with checkboxes for which options would be affected.

I actually had the same thought while I was developing the feature. I decided not to implement it, at least for now, due to the large amount of additional complexity it will add. I'll certainly be keeping it in mind for future versions though.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on March 22, 2009, 12:09:13 PM
Is this functionality going to be exposed via the silent installation and the command line?

I added a new installer and InstallHelper parameter '/configpw=[pass]' to set the configuration file password. It will be in the next beta I release. Yes, this beta series goes on ;o.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on March 22, 2009, 03:00:42 PM

I decided to loosen up on the config restrictions so that view and display options can be edited by any user. I hope this is agreeable to everyone.

Hotrod

I just tried out 3.54 and I must say the changes are awesome. The ability to remove columns is something I've been wanting for a while but never wanted to make a big deal out of it. Upon using it however, I notice a huge difference in readability. I've removed things like process ID,working set size,commit size,User(since I am sole user/admin),creation time,...... and come up with something that allows me to quickly review my running processes and make on the fly adjustments as well as track down problems. If I ever need more info, re-enabling individual columns is just a click away. Thanks for making this change I am sure everyone will love it. I can only think of one thing that might make it better. In most Windows programs the same function is provided by right clicking the column headers to gain access to the same check list. I think this might make novice use a bit more intuitive as well as trimming your menu structure slightly. The password function is a wonderfull feature and will keep others from changing settings without knowing the consequences(like spouses and children). All in all, I think this build was a great stride forward. Keep up the good work.  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Thanks Hotrod ;).

Your suggestion is a good one, as that's where most people will likely look for this capability. I will add that for sure, probably in the next beta series. Whether or not I then remove the column selection from the View menu, I don't know. I'll likely leave it, at least for now, so that everyone realizes this new capability exists.