Indexing Service, also known as Windows Search - keep it enabled or disabled?

Started by BenYeeHua, April 03, 2013, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on April 03, 2013, 06:00:46 PM
P.S. Yes, disabling services, even for short periods, is not advised. Services not doing anything won't interfere with anything, and won't be using any perceptible amount of system resources (that's why the virtual memory manager pages out unused pages, even if you have plenty of RAM). Services that ARE doing something are active for a reason. Services that would interfere with applications are set to run on idle, and have low CPU and I/O priorities. It's definitely not something you would ever gain a single FPS from, but is a good way for people to screw up their OS configurations, leading to all sorts of bizarre problems down the road.
Yes, except you are doing some extreme overclock, and wanna shutdown/kill every threads that will affecting the result.
But, the services that should be pause when gaming is Windows Search, it affect some performance for HDD users, but not SSD users. :)

Jeremy Collake

It's a matter of debate. The Windows Search service is designed to not interfere with running applications, doing most all its work on idle. It also has the most overhead when it's first building its indexes. From there, it only activates when parts of the file system it monitors are changed.

*After* the initial index build, I haven't seen a case where it is interfering. Maybe it does in some circumstances, though nobody has ever demonstrated it, as far as I know. It's more of a 'maybe it might' thing.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on April 03, 2013, 07:04:38 PM
It's a matter of debate. The Windows Search service is designed to not interfere with running applications, doing most all its work on idle. It also has the most overhead when it's first building its indexes. From there, it only activates when parts of the file system it monitors are changed.

*After* the initial index build, I haven't seen a case where it is interfering. Maybe it does in some circumstances, though nobody has ever demonstrated it, as far as I know. It's more of a 'maybe it might' thing.
Yes, a good example, PlanetSide 2.
It is writing the map cache inside the "My Picture". ;D

And yes, when Idle it is running with full speed, but when normal use, it also running with slower speed, but still affecting some as HDD has the seek-time.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on April 03, 2013, 07:22:44 PM
Yes, a good example, PlanetSide 2.
It is writing the map cache inside the "My Picture". ;D

In that case, best to disable indexing for that folder. However, if people want to pause that service, I suppose there's no great harm, so long as they resume it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on April 03, 2013, 07:28:19 PM
In that case, best to disable indexing for that folder. However, if people want to pause that service, I suppose there's no great harm, so long as they resume it.
Yes, and there are still many people disable the index/service.
Because this is what "10+ ways to optimize the windows" call them to do that. ;D
----
Maybe they need to watch what windows doing when they don't disable the service. :)

edkiefer

Yes, indexing is very configurable , just set the folders you want and don't want .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 04, 2013, 08:09:04 AM
Yes, indexing is very configurable , just set the folders you want and don't want .
Yes, I don't want spam the search with so~ many Program File dll. ;)