ParkControl anomaly

Started by bertie97, April 12, 2013, 03:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertie97

Just trying the new build with it's nice CP dialogs BUT
I still can't get core parking settings to stick.   ???
PL shows
100% in hi perf
50 in balanced
0 in PS
Power settings in Win show 10% in PS, I tried matching that entry in PL but the setting is just not sticking - returns to a neutral state with no buttons active & 0 in the % box.

Jeremy Collake

After testing this, I discovered the Power Saver profile behaves differently from the others, and ParkControl does not show its parking settings, as in your screenshot.

This is peculiar because the same code is used for all power profiles. The GUID of the power profile is the only thing that changes.

I must do some debugging and figure out what in the world is going on here. I'll report back ASAP.

Thanks for reporting this unusual behavior!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on April 12, 2013, 04:18:39 AM
After testing this, I discovered the Power Saver profile behaves differently from the others, and ParkControl does not show its parking settings, as in your screenshot.

This is peculiar because the same code is used for all power profiles. The GUID of the power profile is the only thing that changes.

I must do some debugging and figure out what in the world is going on here. I'll report back ASAP.

Thanks for reporting this unusual behavior!
Another story? ;)

Jeremy Collake

I found the problem. Please hold for a fix.

Jeremy Collake

The issue ended up being the GUID->Text conversion function used to reference the registry keys, and also used to pass to powercfg.exe. The Power Saver GUID is the only power profile constant that happens to have a hexadecimal octet whose first nibble is a 0 (<=0x0f). An error in this function caused the leading 0 nibble to be omitted, which caused the wrong textual representation of the GUID in one part of the string (e.g. 0xf instead of 0x0f).

I have uploaded a fixed build of ParkControl

bertie97

Well that was fast!   Thanks ;D
When you say you have uploaded a fixed PC build - where should I be going to get it, PL update says I have the latest full build (obviously).  I imagine it will be a single file to put in an appropriate place...?

Interesting explanation - sounds like a regex fault, what is "a particularly" assuming no typos etc & that it is not a [TM] Bitsum entity.  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Oh, sorry about that, I mean I uploaded a new stand-alone ParkControl available here: http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

No RegEx throughout PL, it was an error in a printf style expression. I have no idea where I was going with 'a particularly', lol. I removed that extraneous phrase.

bertie97

OK thanks.  Yes typos can be mighty humiliating  :)

So as far as PL goes it will have the upgraded file added later I guess.  I can wait for that if I can't add & overwrite on the existing install.

**update**
Extracted the exe into the PL dir & now have active 'enable/disable' buttons but it doesn't hold a %

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, that situation should present itself when core parking has not been configured at all for the power profile. I'll do some more testing and see what I can determine.

bertie97

Thanks for investigating   ;)

bertie97

Looks like it's OK now.  ;)

Did have a slight hiccup -

• entered 10 in the field - apply - OK
    reopened & setting hadn't stuck
  • moved slider to 20 - apply - OK
    reopened & setting had stuck
  • entered 10 in the field - apply - OK
    reopened & setting had stuck

coincidence or has slider movement somehow got the ball rolling?
... but anyway looks like Xmas has come early for core control   ;D

Jeremy Collake

That's interesting.  I've been off hacking on the Firmware Mod Kit and haven't evaluated the second anomaly you reported. I need to take a close look at all the code and see if I can determine the cause of the discrepancy in behavior.

bertie97

Just had a beta updae cme hrouh & it look lik my CP is nw working smoothly.  8)

OT
I note PL now displays 6.0.3.11 beta but the site says it's 6.0.3.13b - I won't lose any sleep over it but thought you should know  ;D  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Thanks Bertie, I am uploading a quick fix for that wrong text version number now.