Main Menu

Rainmeter

Started by edkiefer, April 16, 2013, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

Hi All .
I have been eyeballing this app for long time trying to decide if it be any good . For all that don't know its a system resource overlay system . It can pull information from various ways and display them in a overlay layer on the desktop .

http://rainmeter.net/cms/

So its low on resources unless you go overboard with number of configs (overlay items) .

Wondering if anyone else uses it and what there opinion is on it .
I was mainly going to use for system information , not so much for RSS feeds or weather/clock type stuff .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I can say, beautiful. ;)
It can making your own desktop with your personality, hide the traditional windows icon.
Create your own icon, so that only you know how to use it(if they are just a rookie for windows).

Making your desktop similar to the ACG, movies design with the right wallpaper.
Showing your system info at the desktop, so that you just need to move your mouse to lower right corner/end of the taskbar(with Peek enabled), click on it(without Peek enabled), see your desktop and the system info.

Just too bad sometimes the dll having some bugs and you need to wait for them to fix it.

This is what I know, customize. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on April 17, 2013, 03:08:09 AM
I can say, beautiful. ;)
It can making your own desktop with your personality, hide the traditional windows icon.
Create your own icon, so that only you know how to use it(if they are just a rookie for windows).

Making your desktop similar to the ACG, movies design with the right wallpaper.
Showing your system info at the desktop, so that you just need to move your mouse to lower right corner/end of the taskbar(with Peek enabled), click on it(without Peek enabled), see your desktop and the system info.

Just too bad sometimes the dll having some bugs and you need to wait for them to fix it.

This is what I know, customize. :)
Ok, I didn't know that one , so you agree it doesn't use much cpu% if setup right ?

What app do you use for system info for it to read from HWinfo ?

I am still reading up on it, haven't installed it yet .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 17, 2013, 06:50:37 AM
Ok, I didn't know that one , so you agree it doesn't use much cpu% if setup right ?

What app do you use for system info for it to read from HWinfo ?

I am still reading up on it, haven't installed it yet .
CPU usage is depend on the dll that it use, and I only used it one time, found out that I don't like to monitor my system info(except playing game).
But yup, the more dll you use, the more CPU usage it need.

And I will say, just try it and you will know it. ;)
Remember to create a System Restore Point too. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on April 17, 2013, 11:23:02 AM
CPU usage is depend on the dll that it use, and I only used it one time, found out that I don't like to monitor my system info(except playing game).
But yup, the more dll you use, the more CPU usage it need.

And I will say, just try it and you will know it. ;)
Remember to create a System Restore Point too. :)
That is good point, I don't need to know about much system meters unless I am doing something .

With games we have OSD to overlay GPU, FPS info .

I am going to rethink this a bit .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 17, 2013, 01:51:49 PM
That is good point, I don't need to know about much system meters unless I am doing something .

With games we have OSD to overlay GPU, FPS info .

I am going to rethink this a bit .
Yes, and it will steal your focus sometime, like what CPU, GPU, Memory, Hard disk usage is now when I just browsing Internet, did I need to switch to desktop and know about that when I just doing light work? :)

Just like I tell you, did you just wink? did you still breathing?
Then you start controlling your eyes and breathing, your loss some focus for that little thing(except you need to calm down or you can't breath). ;)

Just like now, I am typing the words, and my Messenger is flashing and telling me there are someone is talking.
Then, I need to reread again what I has type. :o
And I also found that talk is not so that important to taking my focus, wasting time and energy...  :-\

But game is difference, you need to know when your game is lagging, did anything like overheat or not enough memory happen at that time? :)
You has no time to switch to another monitor software window and read it, it is too late to do that. ;)
----OT line
There are also some point on this one, what will happen if you wearing the Google Glass and recording?
You will missing many thing, as you are focus on recording.
Losing focus is a bad thing, anything can be happen at that time. :P