News:

NOTICE: This forum is mostly an archive, though new posts are allowed. Registration may require manual admin activation. After registering visit https://bitsum.com/contact/ to request account activation.

Main Menu

Process Lasso v6.0.3.23 beta config eaten

Started by bertie97, April 27, 2013, 04:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

Strange power profiles don't work for me . on latest 6.4.0.5beta

The log setting for profiles are enabled .
I have graph open which shows profile . I launch app with HP profile set to switch . I check PL  graph and windows with it running and doesn't change from my profile (custom ).

I even removed said app and reentered it .

Ok, checked few things but can't figure out the problem . PL is able to change power profile from main menu if I manually do it , so that part is working fine its just what app I have in the list don't seem to work . I add calculator as test base but can't get it to work .

Game mode works fine .

INI file looks ok , whatever I add shows up in PL root folder ini (not in config folder, that one is not updated and changing it doesn't affect it )
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

#51
Quote from: edkiefer on May 11, 2013, 08:18:42 AM
Strange power profiles don't work for me . on latest 6.4.0.5beta

The log setting for profiles are enabled .
I have graph open which shows profile . I launch app with HP profile set to switch . I check PL  graph and windows with it running and doesn't change from my profile (custom ).

I even removed said app and reentered it .
Don't using that function yet, will test it now.
----
Working here, did you try other default power plans like Powersave, High Performance?
How about other software?

edkiefer

#52
yes, I put it back to balance to see maybe it doesn't like my custom profile but same thing it doesn't change .

You know I noticed few days ago my profile was on high performance by default . maybe it switched and now out of sync . Though I just tried to change it to HP with a HP app running but it didn't switch or change .

I didn't change or add anything that would stop power profiles That I know of .
As I said I can even do it manually from PL menu so PL is able to switch it just for some reason app power profiles not working here .
Edit: uninstalled it went back to last official 6.0.3.4
that didn't work either ,neither did log app power profile .
went back to 6.0.2.8 and power profile switch ok

Did auto-update to beta 6.0.4.5beta
Ok, found issue . in configure app power profile , path method is not working , but if you enter the process name only "calc.exe" it does work . even though path shows correctly in ini .

On issue I am having is log app power profiles is not showing .setting is changing in ini but not showing change in action log window .It is working (changing power profile) .
Also log doesn't show PL info on startup version , company name etc like it used to .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Can you send me your configuration file please? I believe this is the fastest way to figure out what's going on. Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: Support on May 11, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
Can you send me your configuration file please? I believe this is the fastest way to figure out what's going on. Thanks!
sent email

in the config I have calc.exe set by path and you notice it doesn't work, no change to power profile.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

#55
Thanks for sending the config file!

I must do some testing, but I do see one anomaly, an anomaly that I am programmatically correcting now. That is your Energy Saver configuration is in an invalid state. Whether this is affecting the application power profiles, I can't say for sure at this time.

The errant lines are:
Quote from: prolasso.ini
EnergySaverForceActivePowerProfile=True
EnergySaverUpPowerProfileName=

When EnergySaverForceActivePowerProfile is True, EnergySaverUpPowerProfileName should always be populated. This is the setting that tells Energy Saver to force a particular power profile when the PC is in a non-idle state. However, the power profile name is empty.

Edit:Fixed a small typo. :)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: Support on May 11, 2013, 06:02:35 PM
Thanks for sending the config file!

I must do some testing, but I do see one anomaly, an anomaly that I am programmatically correcting now. That is your Energy Saver configuration is in an invalid state. Whether this is affecting the application power profiles, I can't say for sure at this time.

The errant lines are:
When EnergySaverForceActivePowerProfile is True, EnergySvaerUpPowerProfileName should always be populated. This is the setting that tells Energy Saver to force a particular power profile when the PC is in a non-idle state. However, the power profile name is empty.
I never added anything to energy saver but I did open it and unchecked the first option and closed it .

So I should have it false in ini  "EnergySaverForceActivePowerProfile=True>false

To sumorize with calc.exe as example
Just adding "calc.exe" as process in power profile window it works fine but if I use search path option and get c:\windows\system32\calc.exe as path.
It doesn't work .

And again either if it works or not no action log shows up when it does work .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Right, and, yea, I'm sure it got that way thanks to some badly written code on this end. I am going to work on that.

QuoteJust adding "calc.exe" as process in power profile window it works fine but if I use search path option and get c:\windows\system32\calc.exe as path. And again either if it works or not no action log shows up when it does work .

Thanks, that is probably what I have been missing while skimming these posts. I'll report back soon.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

right, I could not figure out how it worked for others but I asked you to add search option so you find exe .
I guess others do it either off process list or entering proper name only .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Log entries:
The log entries were not being emitted due to a logic error in some of the new code. If you *disable* the new log toggle for power profile changes, then they show up. That is now changed, of course.

Failed application power profile when rule uses a pathname
The governor does not properly support application power profiles by pathname. That is why the pathname is failing. I'm adding support for pathnames to the core engine now, so that it matches the GUI's acceptance of them.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Alright, I got it all fixed up in v6.4.0.7 beta. I'm building it now.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: Support on May 11, 2013, 06:48:45 PM
Log entries:
The log entries were not being emitted due to a logic error in some of the new code. If you *disable* the new log toggle for power profile changes, then they show up. That is now changed, of course.

Failed application power profile when rule uses a pathname
The governor does not properly support application power profiles by pathname. That is why the pathname is failing. I'm adding support for pathnames to the core engine now, so that it matches the GUI's acceptance of them.
Thats funny and I made sure that was on in log setting .

Yup it works with it off .

Cool , I'll test it as soon as out .

PS: I like that PL has all app paths under help>about PL .
more software should do that , some do but many don't .
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

Ok, 6.4.0.7beta works with app power profiles .

One tiny issue I had . I had calc.exe open when I auto=updated and when PL restarted it did switch to high performance as it should but it go stuck in HP mode even after I closed calculator .after restting profile to my default. then retesting all worked .

Ok, here easy way to test it , set calc.exe as HP, run it now close PL and restart it . you'll see it get stuck on HP mode.
maybe store default power profile mode in ini ?


The log of app power profiles is only showing one log with it enabled or disabled in log setting .
It either shows entering HP mode or shows terminating HP and back to default but never both .

Log app power profile off and shows only termination of HP and back to default .
Log app power profile on and only show starting HP power profile

hope that makes sense .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on May 11, 2013, 07:44:02 PM
One tiny issue I had . I had calc.exe open when I auto=updated and when PL restarted it did switch to high performance as it should but it go stuck in HP mode even after I closed calculator .after restting profile to my default. then retesting all worked .

Ok, here easy way to test it , set calc.exe as HP, run it now close PL and restart it . you'll see it get stuck on HP mode.
maybe store default power profile mode in ini ?
Yup, this has been reported before. :)
And I think it will affect some people after the silent update is provided, for example, gamer.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on May 11, 2013, 07:44:02 PM
One tiny issue I had . I had calc.exe open when I auto=updated and when PL restarted it did switch to high performance as it should but it go stuck in HP mode even after I closed calculator .after restting profile to my default. then retesting all worked .
Ok, here easy way to test it , set calc.exe as HP, run it now close PL and restart it . you'll see it get stuck on HP mode.

The issue here is that when the governor closes, it doesn't revert application power profiles for processes that remain running. When Process Lasso is restarted, knowledge of the original power profile it switched from is lost, so it can't be restored when the process terminates. I'm working on a fix now.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Alright, I've adjusted the code, though I do have more I plan to do on this issue.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

yes, if it could store last known default i think that may work . that way if it see's a process with power profile it knows what mode it is in .

Good thing I think most app that would be used like this are ones that be full screen ones , games, photo editing, 3dmax that kind of stuff so it shouldn't come up unless auto-update happens in the middle of using the app .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It doesn't bother with storing anything, it instead reverts the changes as it exits. I do have improper termination recovery mechanisms for power profile change events, but I need to work on them with regards to application power profiles.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

ok , more i thought about it that could be trouble to if it got out of sync with OS .

You know best, it was just idea that came to mind   :)

Edit: tested new beta 6.0.4.9 and it switches properly, even leaving the power profiled app running and closing /restarting PL .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Good, thanks for testing!

The Energy Saver function currently stores the original power profile in the registry for later recovery, in case of improper termination of the governor.

As you suggest, I'll do the same for application power profiles. First I wanted to make sure the proper termination sequence worked correctly, then work on handling improper termination.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua


Jeremy Collake

The additional failsafe is included in v6.4.1.1 beta, a build that is undergoing final regression testing (lots fixed in this build). There are a couple known issues I will tackle during testing, and then I will release. This build further cleans up code and makes portions much more efficient. I am feeling fairly pleased with this release.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

that's big list of changes in the change-log .  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it's completely unmanageable. The latest builds added some new things, such as a parent indication in launched processes logs. The build I'm about to upload, which I'm calling rc1 despite not being signed off on a couple more things, adds the export to CSV and more.

I will summarize the changes on final, though don't expect to offer a complete list either way.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: Support on May 13, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
Yea, it's completely unmanageable. The latest builds added some new things, such as a parent indication in launched processes logs. The build I'm about to upload, which I'm calling rc1 despite not being signed off on a couple more things, adds the export to CSV and more.

I will summarize the changes on final, though don't expect to offer a complete list either way.
Yes, to be honest it so big I lost track of what got fixed each beta to test . Maybe leave the beta build that the fix was fixed, or have timestamp of fix .

Not sure what is best w/o a lot of extra work .

With a one man team it hard to do or your time is spent documenting stuff .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on May 13, 2013, 06:39:34 PM
Yes, to be honest it so big I lost track of what got fixed each beta to test . Maybe leave the beta build that the fix was fixed, or have timestamp of fix .

Not sure what is best w/o a lot of extra work .

With a one man team it hard to do or your time is spent documenting stuff .
Ya, I lost track in the beta update too.
It can be just like the normal build update, having the separate change log.
---OT line
But, sometimes one man team is better, you don't need to keep too much tracking with other people, don't need to tell him you just changed which part of code, what are you trying to do, why you change that part of code...

And yes, it is just sometimes(rarely), having someone review the code or other thing will make the software better.

So, it depend on many thing, like your communication with your teammate, the target is the same or not etc. :)