Another Startup crash - possible NVIDIA driver interference

Started by BenYeeHua, June 26, 2013, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Another startup crash again, but I think it only happen at the boot after you install Nvidia driver.
It has some difference, I found nothing inside the %APPDATA%\ProcessLasso.
But windows also has a minidump inside the %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps, so I upload that one. :)

PS:Changed to .jpg for upload to forum. ;)

Jeremy Collake

If you see this again, let me know.. I'm not sure what to make of it yet.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

First question is , which driver ?
lately I have seen many issues with the 320-325 branch  , black screens , BSOD etc after installing (I think the black screen are mainly with win8 , not sure on BSOD ).

I would wait for next branch, should be one in july hopefully with better fixes as there also issues with freezing in many browser (I have HW acceleration turned off just in case )
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: jeremy on June 30, 2013, 06:26:43 AM
If you see this again, let me know.. I'm not sure what to make of it yet.
I will, and did the crash is the same with the startup crash that older than this one?(which has the dump inside the %APPDATA%\ProcessLasso)
And I don't find that topic, maybe the forum issue causing that topic missing now.
Quote from: edkiefer on June 30, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
First question is , which driver ?
lately I have seen many issues with the 320-325 branch  , black screens , BSOD etc after installing (I think the black screen are mainly with win8 , not sure on BSOD ).

I would wait for next branch, should be one in july hopefully with better fixes as there also issues with freezing in many browser (I have HW acceleration turned off just in case )
Starting from that burning fermi driver 320.18, I facing this crash with 320.18 and 320.49.
And I don't facing this issue for installing 325.71 and 326.01 on Windows 8, maybe it only happen in 320 branch, but not 325 branch. :)

edkiefer

yes, 325 and 326 seem a bit better but if all works ok I would wait .
I am on 314.07 no problems with any games or what so ever, rock solid here so i wait just to be sure .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 30, 2013, 03:13:46 PM
yes, 325 and 326 seem a bit better but if all works ok I would wait .
I am on 314.07 no problems with any games or what so ever, rock solid here so i wait just to be sure .
I don't know this is new feature or not.
The frequency don't set as idle, 2d, 3d and dynamic boost frequency any more.
For example, the base frequency is 835MHz, you can see him lowing down to 750MHz or other frequency, not just 135MHz, 450MHz, 835MHz and dynamic boost frequency.

I think this is why some people found out their graphic card is cooler than before. :)

And yes, most people report 314.07 is the best.

edkiefer

yes, core should be 324 @idle and memory 324/162 (depending on how you read memory .

One thing, users with 120hz or OC monitors run higher clocks , I think it won't idle to 324 and stay at 862 .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 30, 2013, 09:25:00 PM
yes, core should be 324 @idle and memory 324/162 (depending on how you read memory .
Yup, but laptop or low end graphic card(If I remember right) is 135@idle :).
I get 135, 147*, 162*, 180*, 202/203*, 231*, 270*, 405, 585*, 759*, 797*.... 835-950Mhz.
With 320 or 325.71 I don't get the new frequency, so I am right about why some people found out the graphic card is cooler with 326.01. ;)
*=New frequency/clock

The way they change the frequency is more better, as they has many new frequency, they can increase the frequency step by step, and they might has more ways to save power that I don't found, with Windows 8.1=more power saver I think.

From 135 to 585 is 0.5 second I think, as I don't wanna polling the graphic card with 50 ms period and crash it...
For decrease the frequency, they are much slower, but at least they can lower it after 5 seconds when they make sure the GPU usage is stable.(The wait time will be reduced between 405-835 base clock)
Before that, I has been locked down to 405MHz, but if I put the game at the background and switch back, I get 135MHz all the time(With VSync@60FPS).
But now I can see it decrease step by step until it reach 147MHz. ;)

PS:I think this has some connection for the new Power Management mode setting-Prefer consistent performance, which you can see after 320.18. :)
QuoteOne thing, users with 120hz or OC monitors run higher clocks , I think it won't idle to 324 and stay at 862 .
I think yes, it is, and it is funny that 60hz with multi-monitor get lower clocks than one monitor with 120hz or OC or 61hz. ;D
And the memory clock is more higher if I remember right.

PS:The best driver is 314.22, or 314.xx, I always saw them saying back to 314.xx, this driver is bad. :P

edkiefer

Ahh, did know you were on mobile . I hate how Nvidia labels/names mobile as they have say 650 desktop and a 650M, but the specs are totally different .
Yes , I would assume the mobile drivers clock with lower speeds especially at low loads to save battery life .
I don't know much on these as never had laptop .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 01, 2013, 07:21:40 AM
Ahh, did know you were on mobile . I hate how Nvidia labels/names mobile as they have say 650 desktop and a 650M, but the specs are totally different .
Yes , I would assume the mobile drivers clock with lower speeds especially at low loads to save battery life .
I don't know much on these as never had laptop .
And also the heat, my laptop are always heat(the laptop is the same temp with my face, but hotter than my plam), with just doing nothing.
But strange that the notebookcheck say it is 2x°C on the front when idle, and they are review i7-3720QM while I am i5-3210m, it must be something wrong on my laptop, because I can't feel too much air come out from the cooler outlet, it just like 5% of the air coming out only.

If I force full speed, it will become cooler but the CPU remain 48-50°C(went down 1-3°C)... It is just using 10-20 watt daily use with HD4000(measured by using battery)...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N56VZ-S4044V-Notebook.78305.0.html
----
And yes, I also hate most people just saying I having 650, while he is using 650m laptop for example. :P

You can give a try for 326.01, the thing I found out on my laptop is PhysX, it will stutter at some big scene as too much PhysX calculation eating the rendering process, as 650m d3 is not too powerful for that.

Desktop don't has that much lower clock as they will burn as the voltage is too high, and they can't lowing down the voltage to operating the GPU at a lower clock. :)

BenYeeHua

Another crash, but this time is after the boot of BSOD. :)

Jeremy Collake

BenYeeHua

I hope this is not other software hijack or hardware broken that causing this issue, as the solution are always the pain for me.

Jeremy Collake

The cause is not yet clear.  I am still analyzing it. I have also seen it myself, in one test bed. I've since been trying to get it to happen again, hoping to reliably reproduce it, so I can verify the fix, when I make it.

You may have some luck avoiding the crash by unchecking 'Log process executions', as the problem is in code related to it. That option is disabled by default for newer installs.

BenYeeHua

QuoteYou may have some luck avoiding the crash by unchecking 'Log process executions', as the problem is in code related to it. That option is disabled by default for newer installs.
Ya, as the os boot is getting most software running at that time.
But so far I only facing this 2-4 times, it is lower than the BSoD that I am facing everyday, when the download and upload speed is full and it will crash.(which can be windows cause that BSoD) :)

Jeremy Collake

Have you tried the latest beta? Seen the problem there?

BenYeeHua

Quote from: jeremy on July 09, 2013, 03:29:01 PM
Have you tried the latest beta? Seen the problem there?
Not yet, as this crash is very hard to reproduce, it only happen like 5% of the boot, and Windows 8 are using hibernate to shutdown, and I think the BSoD that I am facing has been fixed too. :)
I will try to restart 10-25 times(which is 30-50mins) to check it up.

edkiefer

FWIW, I saw over in few driver area forums, seems there a few having issues with montior sleep after system been idle for long time , many hrs to 2 days . I don't know if it was win8 or other OS but I think it was with Nvidia Kepler cards . When they try to awake system it either crashes or restarts .
This is with newer 320+ drivers .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on July 09, 2013, 07:01:01 PM
Not yet, as this crash is very hard to reproduce, it only happen like 5% of the boot

Yes, I know! This makes it especially annoying. Nobody who has sent me a dump has seen it again, even with the last final build.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: jeremy on July 09, 2013, 07:28:52 PM
Yes, I know! This makes it especially annoying. Nobody who has sent me a dump has seen it again, even with the last final build.
So far I don't see this, just restart 10 times until the EC firmware(fan controller) lost control again. ;D
Did you try the old build and running like 10+ software(including PL) in one-off to see that it will happen or not?
As you has the SSD, it is much faster to reproduce it, except this crash only happen with my computer.
Quote from: edkiefer on July 09, 2013, 07:20:38 PM
FWIW, I saw over in few driver area forums, seems there a few having issues with montior sleep after system been idle for long time , many hrs to 2 days . I don't know if it was win8 or other OS but I think it was with Nvidia Kepler cards . When they try to awake system it either crashes or restarts .
This is with newer 320+ drivers .
And luckily I am a Optimus user, which most of the daily use bug in the Nvidia driver will not affecting me. :)