Did you know that...? Things that might have not been added to the FAQ, but are worth knowing.

Started by Jeremy Collake, March 01, 2012, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Since the documentation is a bit lacking and I've not created any neat screencasts yet, I decided to create this board of little tips. Here's the first one.

Mouse shortcuts

• Left click the graph to toggle the color scheme.
  • Left click the RAM load area to toggle it off or on. It off, click where it would otherwise be (the right most side of the graph).
  • Left click the graph legend to toggle it on or off. If off, click where it would otherwise be.
  • Right click on either tab to select which columns should be shown.
  • Right click on the column headers to select which columns should be shown.
  • Select one or more processes, and a cumulative CPU history is of just those process(es) is drawn on the graph in either white or black, depending on the color scheme.
  • You can drag in between the panes to make any of them larger or smaller (e.g. drag process listview up to make graph smaller, or drag process listview down to make log smaller).

Keyboard shortcuts

DEL = forcibly terminate selected processes
CTRL-A = select all processes
CTRL-G = toggle graph visibility
CTRL-R = toggle RAM load visibility
F5 = Refresh now
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

ilikefree

Thank you will be watching this thread for more

Jeremy Collake

Today's focus is on our Prevent Sleep capability. Now, this can be done in one of two ways:

1. Simply right-click a process (or use the configuration dialogs) and select 'When Running / Prevent PC and Display from Sleeping' (or similar)
2. OR Use an Application Power Profile (a default power profile applied when a process is running) to induce a different Power Profile when that application is running. That Power Profile, depending on your settings, could prevent the PC from sleeping.

There are so many features of Process Lasso that so many people have no idea are there - and with good reason - I haven't really 'pushed' the marketing of them.

As always, go back to Process Lasso's home page for more information.

Jeremy Collake

Seeing a delay at user login before the system tray icon shows up? This is just how Windows works. Process Lasso utilizes the Task Scheduler of Windows to start itself. This is so it can start elevated without any UAC prompts. The side effect of this is that it is one of the last programs launched at startup. If you have a lot going on at user login, then it may take a minute or two for its system tray icon to show up - even though it starts instantly itself (e.g. if launched manually). This isn't a big deal, and nothing that needs fixed. It's just how Windows was designed. To return to launching via the Run menu would mean UAC prompts to start elevated.

Kryten42

Hello,  :D

I just got v6.5 and just signed up. I used v3 & v4 some time ago, then worked at Apple and no longer used windows! (Yayyy!) ;) :D

Anyway, I'm back to using Win (and linux), and discovered I needed Process Lasso once again!  ???

Thanks for these useful tips. I'll make use of them!

Cheers!
Paul.

Jeremy Collake

Under some circumstances, you may wish to force the automated update of Process Lasso. This would re-initialize the Process Lasso files, ensuring you have the latest version. To do this, one would find QuickUpgrade.exe in the Process Lasso installation folder. Run it with '/usedll' attached to the command line.

For example:

"c:\program files\process lasso\quickupgrade.exe" /usedll

This process will automatically close, then restart, Process Lasso - if running.

BenYeeHua

I wonder did we has a function to validate the file?
Or was this function can be used to validate the file?

It can be useful to know if someone has a broken Harddisk/Ram or BSOD while updating. :)

natostanco

Hello, in the task manager I can monitor cpu usage of system processes  (Like Avs) but I cannot see them in process lasso, is there a way to show them?

BenYeeHua

Try tick the Main-"Run Process Lasso with elevated rights" and also "Manage processes of all users".
But some processes can't showing in Process Lasso as they has some issue when PL try to access them. :)

Jeremy Collake

Security software processes are 'protected' from being looked at too closely (literally). Their tamper detection systems can go haywire. While they allow the Windows task manager to access their processes, when Process Lasso looks too closely with read-only access, they can start going nuts, emitting tamper detection events to their log. Symantec and Comodo are particularly good for this, but others do it as well.

However, I have added a way to list and manage these processes, under the assumption you know how to handle tamper detection events, if they do arise, and/or how to 'trust' Process Lasso's processes so that it doesn't set off these events.

Check (to show system and other user processes):

'Main / Run with elevated rights'
'Main / Manage processes of all users'

Uncheck (to show security software processes):
'Options / General settings / Ignore problematic processes'

Note that for system processes, they'll show up by checking the first TWO.  The 'Ignore problematic processes' is for security software processes. So, you may want to *leave that last one checked*.