2 minute system freeze on almost every system startup

Started by etking, June 01, 2013, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etking

For at least a month or so, the system (taskbar) and especially the Process Lasso UI completely freeze for around two minutes after system startup, while other already started applications continue to work normally. This does not happen every time, but more often then on every second system boot. There once was a similar entry in the process lasso change log but it did not fix the problem for me.

My system is a mobile Core i7-2670QM, Win7 x64, Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 with Application Control disabled.

edkiefer

First thing I would do is look at system event viewer to see if any errors come up around that time .
Depending on what you find there , I would also look at autoruns or Msconfig (autoruns is much better) and see if anything in starup or services or even scheduler looks funny . Autoruns will color code possible thins and show missing DLL and other info that might help pin down the cause .
If neither above helps, just try disabling startup process and services but be careful on services as to there dependencies .
Bitsum QA Engineer

etking

My startup processes are already optimized. The bug was introduced with the new Process Lasso Core Parking feature which seems to create problems in conjunction with Kaspersky Anti Virus.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: etking on June 01, 2013, 10:42:50 AM
My startup processes are already optimized. The bug was introduced with the new Process Lasso Core Parking feature which seems to create problems in conjunction with Kaspersky Anti Virus.

Kaspersky might have troubles with Process Lasso, but I doubt it's related in any way to core parking. That's just a toggle in the power profile options and isn't something Process Lasso 'takes over' or otherwise interferes with.

The old fix you are referring to was related to a short-lived build that had a GDI leak in the CPU parking display. It caused issues very different from what you describe, and it is definitely resolved beyond any shadow of a doubt.

You may want to check Kaspersky's logs to see what it indicates there. Please report back if you see anything suspicious (e.g. tamper detection events, security software doesn't like anything touching their processes).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

A new thought: The issue *may be* that Kaspersky is doing a more thorough scan of Process Lasso. This can change as the current version becomes known to Kaspersky's cloud. Otherwise, setting an exclusion/trust status on Process Lasso's executables may help.

BenYeeHua

Yup, Kaspersky like to do heavy work, but not bad for it. :)
Just need the Kaspersky's logs and see what it is doing. ;)

etking

I did not find anything in logs but since updating ProcessLasso, the problem occurs more often again, it almost disapeared the days before. I will try to exclude ProcessLasso from the real time scanner and report back if this helps.

BenYeeHua

Wait..
Try also disable the firewall and set a Static IP. :)

Hotrod

I would create exclusions in both your AV and your firewall for ProcessLasso.exe, Process Governor.exe, and QuickUpgrade.exe Since PL will also take it's first opportunity to check for updates at startup. Look for things in your AV log which occur repeatedly in rapid succession. These are most likely tamper protection events and reporting them here can help support to modify PL to alleviate the issue.

Jeremy Collake

Please disable Process Lasso updates as well. Although the update check is isolated in its own thread and should not stall the message pump, I want to make sure that this is not a factor.

etking

Adding all process lasso executables as an exception did not help and the problem got worse over time. After almost every system startup the system froze until I disabled and re-enabled Kaspersky.

The problems started as soon as the web browser was launched, sometimes I even had to manually switch off the computer since windows and task manager were completely frozen and unresponsive.

Often it helped to open the Process Lasso UI and wait for some minutes for the empty columns to fill and the UI to respond, but I now use a Bitdefender based Antivirus solution with no performance problems at all.

Kaspersky 2012 and ProcessLasso are not compatible.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: etking on July 02, 2013, 09:58:10 AM
Adding all process lasso executables as an exception did not help and the problem got worse over time. After almost every system startup the system froze until I disabled and re-enabled Kaspersky.

The problems started as soon as the web browser was launched, sometimes I even had to manually switch off the computer since windows and task manager were completely frozen and unresponsive.

Often it helped to open the Process Lasso UI and wait for some minutes for the empty columns to fill and the UI to respond, but I now use a Bitdefender based Antivirus solution with no performance problems at all.

Kaspersky 2012 and ProcessLasso are not compatible.
I think it is Kaspersky firewall? Did you try disable Process Lasso auto-startup and check for it?
But anyway, Kaspersky is too heavy for every computer, I always saw it biting one core to processing. :)