Process Lasso and Avast

Started by neophil78, December 13, 2013, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neophil78

I'm using Avast as AntiVirus (the free Edition and only the AV part, not the whole suite) since a while now (but not sure for how long more  :D), and that silly Avast has a system which make it go itself before any other processes on the PC, even the Windows ones, and even Process Lasso ...

In some special occasion such Windows Update evenings for instance it had very bad consequences if it decided to check if there's a need of updating the VPS database and may crash the Windows Update Process (yep it did  >:( )

I search a way with Process Lasso to bring Avast priority lower but didn't succeed to find anything

Any idea of what to do ??

N.B: using Avast v 8.0.1497 for now on mainly XP SP3 Pc's but trouble is the same on Seven

BenYeeHua

Another case that showing Anti-virus is "virus", just kidding. ;D
-----
QuoteI'm using Avast as AntiVirus (the free Edition and only the AV part, not the whole suite) since a while now (but not sure for how long more  :D), and that silly Avast has a system which make it go itself before any other processes on the PC, even the Windows ones, and even Process Lasso ...
As I know, you can go to setting-troubleshooting, tick the "Load avast! services only after loading system services".
And the anti-virus that I am using is also loaded itself after 1-2 mins boot, I never facing 1 boot virus, so it will not becoming a issues for me. :)

QuoteIn some special occasion such Windows Update evenings for instance it had very bad consequences if it decided to check if there's a need of updating the VPS database and may crash the Windows Update Process (yep it did  >:( )
En...
So I think you means that, in Night, Windows Update checking the update, at that time Avast! check for it's VPS database update, will causing Windows Update crash?

I guess you need to collect the minidump, then give it to the Avast! support forum, or this bug will never fixed by them.
QuoteI search a way with Process Lasso to bring Avast priority lower but didn't succeed to find anything

Any idea of what to do ??

N.B: using Avast v 8.0.1497 for now on mainly XP SP3 Pc's but trouble is the same on Seven
Not sure about what's you want, but I guess you want to set the Avast processes CPU priority to low priority, but you can't find it in the Process Lasso?
This is because many anti-virus has self-defense module, just like you can see on the troubleshooting setting, to prevent slowing down the anti-virus or making many strange issues, Process Lasso will not monitoring any anti-virus that it listed into "problematic process".

And if you means only for Avast! updater, in past they set the updater as below normal CPU priority, but not the 2014 version.
https://feedback.avast.com/responses/manual-update-runs-in-low-priority
If it is just for Avast! updater, I guess it will not a issues, I don't think Process Lasso has list the updater into "problematic process". :)
---------
And yup, setting the CPU priority of Avast! updater will not helping anything for the Windows Update crash, you need to collect the minidump, by enable the minidump, then send it to the Avast! supporter.

This is the best ways to solve the crash. ;)
QuoteThis feature is not enabled by default. Enabling the feature requires administrator privileges. To save these user mode memory dumps locally using Windows Error Reporting, create the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps
Value Name = DumpType
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data = 1

Data Values Descriptions:
0 = Create a custom dump
1 = Mini dump
2 = Full dump

Windows Error Reporting in Windows Vista generates the following information:

A report manifest file (Report.wer)

Once enabled, the report can be found at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER. Reports can be viewed using the wercon.exe tool. The following error information is sent to the Windows Error Reporting Server:

Operating system version information (.version.txt)
    Application information (.appcompat.txt)
    A heap dump file (.hdmp)
    A mini-dump file (.mdmp)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931673
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx

neophil78

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 13, 2013, 02:44:53 PM
Another case that showing Anti-virus is "virus", just kidding. ;D
I agree and not kidding, if you look on the Avast Forums (english & french - i'm french), lots of guys & girls have totally broken their System when updating to Avast 2014  ::). That's worse than a virus  :o

Quote from: BenYeeHua
-----As I know, you can go to setting-troubleshooting, tick the "Load avast! services only after loading system services".
And the anti-virus that I am using is also loaded itself after 1-2 mins boot, I never facing 1 boot virus, so it will not becoming a issues for me. :)
Not a bad idea, i'll try it.
No do i, i never facing 1 boot virus, neither than any virus at all in fact   ;D ;D

Quote from: BenYeeHua
So I think you means that, in Night, Windows Update checking the update, at that time Avast! check for it's VPS database update, will causing Windows Update crash?
This is because many anti-virus has self-defense module, just like you can see on the troubleshooting setting, to prevent slowing down the anti-virus or making many strange issues, Process Lasso will not monitoring any anti-virus that it listed into "problematic process".
That's exactly what i wanted to say.
Avast has so high priority, if it using as described on a little old PC, when Windows Update is in action it should probably take a maximum ressources and bring Windows Update to crash

Thanks for your reply  ;)

BenYeeHua

QuoteI agree and not kidding, if you look on the Avast Forums (english & french - i'm french), lots of guys & girls have totally broken their System when updating to Avast 2014  ::). That's worse than a virus  :o
Yup, a bad coding software=uninstall.
But a bad coding anti-virus that need to using driver will crash your computer etc, sometime a strong anti-virus that can detect any virus don't means stability.

No one like to having a security that will bring down their own house, for prevent thief. ;D

QuoteNot a bad idea, i'll try it.
No do i, i never facing 1 boot virus, neither than any virus at all in fact   ;D ;D
Yup, even I will facing them in the future, just going into Safe Mode is enough to remove them.
And who need a anti-virus that can be killed by virus, don't detect that virus when the virus is being download and running. ;)

QuoteThat's exactly what i wanted to say.
Avast has so high priority, if it using as described on a little old PC, when Windows Update is in action it should probably take a maximum ressources and bring Windows Update to crash
Ok, so I guess you see the Avast! updater at the "All process" with Process Lasso?
Then, just right click on it, click on Priority class-Always-Below Normal(or other CPU priority that you want).

You can also click on Options-Configure default CPU priorities, then the dialog/window will show up.
Except it is a protected process, I guess you will not facing any issues for changing the CPU priority. :)

And yup, the best ways is collect the crashdump, then send/give it to Avast! support forum, they will know what's to do with that crashdump, except the crash is not caused by Avast! updater.