Feature request: exclude processes from a drive from ProBalance restraint

Started by justneedtogetsomehelp, July 11, 2013, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justneedtogetsomehelp

Dear all / developers

This would be a useful feature, since it would allow me automatically to exclude installers - which I keep on a particular drive - from restraint.

Thanks.

BenYeeHua

Your ID. :o
Not bad. 8)
----
Not a bad feature, as some people need installer finish the install ASAP, so it don't biting the I/O and causing the I/O lag. :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: justneedtogetsomehelp on July 11, 2013, 08:26:33 PM
This would be a useful feature, since it would allow me automatically to exclude installers - which I keep on a particular drive - from restraint.

You can use wildcards, which should be largely effective.

For instance, "e:\setup*.exe" .. or "e:\*" if the entire drive is installers. EDIT: Exclusion pathname matching is not enabled. It will be in future versions.

Does that fulfill your need?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: jeremy on July 12, 2013, 06:03:16 PM
You can use wildcards, which should be largely effective.

For instance, "e:\setup*.exe" .. or "e:\*" if the entire drive is installers.

Does that fulfill your need?
I was going to post same thing about wildcards but didn't know you can combine with path's to .
*.msi would be another install wildcard option .

A lot of installers are listed/named abc_setup.exe  would *setup.exe be right or setup*.exe ?
I am thinking first one
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Actually, you are right, you can't do as I suggested! I thought I allowed matching exclusions by pathnames, but checking the code, I didn't :o. The rationale was possible mismatches. However, that can be mitigated.

So, I will work on allowing path matches. I'll do that immediately. Then the suggestion I made would work :o.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Jeremy Collake

And, until then, good exclusions might be:

*setu*.exe
*instal*.exe
*.msi

That would cover many installers... though it wouldn't cover some that use temporary files for executables.

edkiefer

Quote from: jeremy on July 12, 2013, 06:26:13 PM
And, until then, good exclusions might be:

*setu*.exe
*instal*.exe
*.msi

That would cover many installers... though it wouldn't cover some that use temporary files for executables.
Yes, wildcard support is very powerful , if you get paths working that would be move flexibility .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 12, 2013, 06:51:56 PM
Yes, wildcard support is very powerful , if you get paths working that would be move flexibility .
Yup, I like the wildcard too, just be careful when using it. ;)

Jeremy Collake

What I've done is added a new toggle to allow matching of pathnames to ProBalance exclusions.

This will be present in Process Lasso version 6.6.0.63 beta and later. I'm going to make a couple more modifications to the ProBalance Exclusions Dialog, then will release a beta.

justneedtogetsomehelp

I've only just discovered these replies to my question.  :o

And my reply to those replies is . . good job! Excellent. Just what I need. Thank you.  :)