Could/should "forced mode" be per application?

Started by rd25994, September 24, 2013, 02:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd25994

Could "forced mode" be set per application?

That is, if I have particular application that I really want to keep at a certain priority setting, but don't want to force all applications to be held strictly to my rules, could there be a way to have "forced mode" to apply to just that one?

BenYeeHua

For now, it can't be set per app, but just wanna to ask some questions.
How many process need this?
Why you want to allow the processes or other processes set their priority themselves, while disallow some processes getting set?

And I think I never saw some processes will set the priority themselves, so this might interesting for me. :)
----
But I think it will be, as forcing all processes as the setting that you set is very strange, and most other setting can be set difference for difference app.

rd25994

Some applications that I want to run as background still result in a too draggy system response.
I don't know if they are somehow overriding my Process Lasso settings, and it doesn't look like they are.
But, if I could have "forced" be set for just that one application, then I'd be more sure that they aren't disregarding my PL settings.

OTOH, I should try "throttling" to reduce the CPU usage, as a last resort.

But I wanted to ask about a per-application "forced" setting first.

BenYeeHua

Did the app that running with normal priority and PL restraint that app?
Or you are changing the default priority of that process?

By reading the PL log I think you might found out many thing.

rd25994

The application itself can limit itself to one core, and I have PL rules to lower the priority class, I/O priority, and memory priority, yet my system remains draggy.

BenYeeHua

QuoteThe application itself can limit itself to one core, and I have PL rules to lower the priority class, I/O priority, and memory priority, yet my system remains draggy.
Did you try forced mode for all app and found some improvement?
How about lower the priority class to Idle?

I think the ways to check if they has changed their priority back is, just check their current priority.
---
Did you also try change the process affinity to other core than Core 0(and core 1 if you are using processor that support HT)?
As the Core 0 is processing most system thing on that core, it will increase the chance to make the system draggy. :)

And ya, the dev has been busy recently, so you might not getting the answer for this request in this week.

rd25994

Trying "forced" didn't help.
But reading about it made me wonder why "forced" isn't per-application, as it seems it would only be needed for certain specific applications, than all of them (with PL rules).

BenYeeHua

QuoteBut reading about it made me wonder why "forced" isn't per-application, as it seems it would only be needed for certain specific applications, than all of them (with PL rules).
This is what I think.
If the processes don't has any issue, why you want to set some rules and change their priority?
If you set the rules, why you want to let the processes setting back the priority while not letting some processes this permission?
Why you just not cancel the rules and let them set it back?

So, the issue is, why you want some processes has the "right" to changing it back but not just cancel the rules for it?
And enable the "forced" mode for other processes that follow the rules don't has any effect for them.

It is just like you are not letting some people that Ignore the rules you set to them, but it will not has any effect on anyone that follow the rules, it is very strange that why you let them ignore the rules, while you can just cancel the rules for them. ;)

(Just some questions coming out too and it is Off-topic, did doing this will affect the ProBalance if you force them using the Normal CPU Priority for example? I will check this out if I has time.)
-----
Anyways, I guess you are using Windows vista/7/8, just try this.
QuoteAnd check the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools , there are showing the Performance issues.
If the "Performance issues" showing anything, click on it and view the log in Event Viewer, it might showing it is some heavy graphic thing running for example, and watch the log time too, sometimes it is showing the old one..
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3580.msg13687.html#msg13687

And posting some information like.
QuoteThe Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
     Reason   :   Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
     Diagnosis   :   A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time.
I found out this is very useful and accurate for me, as the time it log is what is really happening at that time. ;)
For example, this showing it is GPU issue, then we know where should start finding the issues.

There are more example on that topic, but giving what's it showing and the information that the hardware causing it will be helpful. :)