I have set "idle Priority" to several softwares.

Started by sst, July 22, 2009, 04:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sst

Hi, ...

I have installed [v3.62.1 64-bit x64].

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled], 8 Gig Ram, [ReadyBoost 8 Gig., on a 8 Gig. Usb ThumbDrive Ntfs].

---

I have set "idle Priority", to several softwares.
-
In example i have some software that go to systray icons. But by default, it have "normal Priority". Like Java systray icon, and others systray softwares, ...
-
Did it will make a change, to the cpu(s) used, process used, or else, ... ?

---

----------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Translator of Process Lasso = French [Canada-Québec].
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Final Build 7600

Jeremy Collake

I am not sure I understand your question.

If the question is whether or not setting a process to Idle will hurt it, the answer varies. In general, you should only permanently set a process's priority to Idle when its something that should always take a back seat to any other process that may need to use the CPU. Its generally not a good idea to set processes permanently to Idle if you ever interact with them, or if they have an important job to do. Also remember, if the processes aren't really using any CPU cycles, then it really won't help anything to set them to Idle... as they aren't using the CPU enough to matter.

That's why Process Lasso's ProBalance only temporarily lowers process priorities, and restores them if the process is brought back to the foreground. This mechanism intelligently adjusts priorities as they should be to improve system responsiveness..

If your question was another one, please rephrase. Thanks ;)

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

sst

Hi, ...

I have installed = Process Lasso Pro. [v3.62.1 64-bit x64].

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled], 8 Gig Ram, [ReadyBoost 8 Gig., on a 8 Gig. Usb ThumbDrive Ntfs].

---

I am not sure I understand your question.

If the question is whether or not setting a process to Idle will hurt it, the answer varies. In general, you should only permanently set a process's priority to Idle when its something that should always take a back seat to any other process that may need to use the CPU. Its generally not a good idea to set processes permanently to Idle if you ever interact with them, or if they have an important job to do. Also remember, if the processes aren't really using any CPU cycles, then it really won't help anything to set them to Idle... as they aren't using the CPU enough to matter.

That's why Process Lasso's ProBalance only temporarily lowers process priorities, and restores them if the process is brought back to the foreground. This mechanism intelligently adjusts priorities as they should be to improve system responsiveness..

If your question was another one, please rephrase. Thanks ;)

I have set "idle Priority", to several softwares.
-
In example i have some software that go to systray icons. But by default, it have "normal Priority". Like Java systray icon, and others systray softwares, ...
-
Did it will make a change, to the cpu(s) used, process used, or else, ... ?

-

My question is responded. Thanks :-)

---

----------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Translator of Process Lasso = French [Canada-Québec].
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Final Build 7600