Win 8.1update1x64 process lasso window/tray icon crashes/vanishes

Started by Oxides, April 19, 2014, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxides

I have been running 8x64 with no issues for months.  I just updated to 8.1 then 8.1update1 at the same time.

After the computer has been running for a while, go into the tray, click the process lasso icon.  The big lasso window opens up, moving the mouse twords the top of the window, without clicking anything, causes the window to vanish.  The tray icon vanishes too.  Processgovenor.exe and processlasso.exe still seem to still be running, and i dont see anything in the windows event viewer.  The only way to get the tray icon back seems to be endtask then restart processlasso.

BenYeeHua

Use this ways to create a dump, after you reproduce the issues that you are saying, as the process is still running, but it is not crashed. :)
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

And I recommend just email the "support" directly, as the dump might having sensitive data in it. ;)
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?action=emailuser;sa=email;uid=1
---
And yup, I also just update to Win 8.1 and update 1, and don't facing this issues.
I think it can be the DPI issues, or Anti-virus etc.

Oxides

Its not a click that makes the window destruct, it just happens a second after opening. 
I'm using bitdefender, not sure about the dpi. 
I'll look into the dump.
I was hoping I wasn't the only one with this issue.

Jeremy Collake

That's weird... I've seen strange Win8 taskbar behavior (e.g. it freezing) back when Win8 first came out, but haven't seen any troubles with it for many months, and no troubles with Win 8.1.

I'll be tracking this issue. Please let us know if you discover any clues you think may be relevant.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Oxides

This problem seems to have gone away.  I think it was either the recent update to classic shell (4.1.0) or a windows update that showed up recently.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Oxides on April 27, 2014, 03:25:46 AM
This problem seems to have gone away.  I think it was either the recent update to classic shell (4.1.0) or a windows update that showed up recently.

Interesting.. and third-party shell extensions are also always a possible factor. Please let us know if it reappears!

Thanks!

BenYeeHua

Yup, I guess it just like the Aero Glass, which change some function of DWM.exe.

Anyways, here is the changelog, which might point to the old version of it too.
Version 4.1.0 general release (Apr, 2014):

Improved support for Windows 8.1 Spring Update
    Improved checks for new versions
    Minor stability fixes

Version 4.0.6 general release (Apr, 2014):

Quick fix for a crash in Explorer introduced in version 4.0.5

http://www.classicshell.net/history/

Jeremy Collake

Looks like they fixed it in their 4.0.6 release: "Quick fix for a crash in Explorer introduced in version 4.0.5"

Like I said, shell extensions are so often the culprit for unexplained crashes. That's why I now default to not showing the process icons, as sometimes the crash happens when these shell extensions try to draw overlays on them.

BenYeeHua

Yup, that is why even the software is there, I will try not to using it, as I don't wanna my other software like browser crash while using it. :)

Oxides

Just an update:

About a few days after the problem went away it returned and stayed until i finally found the cuplrit, Bitdefender.
The second i removed it and switched to Kaspersky internet security the processlassowindow crash went away, and has been away for like 2 weeks.

I was just ignoring it for weeks.  With the auto-restart of lasso it was merely a few seconds of annoyance.  Then i saw postings about bitdefender causing a similar issue with other programs so i figured i would try switching av.

edit: HA! I see in https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3858.0.html you guys figured out already it was bitdefender.

BenYeeHua

Yup, sometimes we forgot there is some antivirus can causing issues. ;D