Fails to kill many tasks in Windows 8

Started by gamesturbator, May 14, 2014, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamesturbator

I didn't run into this problem in Windows 7, but in Windows 8 many programs just can't be terminated (I've installed more than my fair share LOL). Driver Genius (total garbage even if does run normally), for instance, which kept hanging just a few minutes after I installed it and ran it for the first time. Couldn't force terminate it to save my life. Do I need to Disable DEP or something? I already did the registry hack to permanently disable UAC
QuoteHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Key: EbableLUA

Value data: 0

I run Lasso with administrative privileges, What else do I need to do give it the full control is has in Windows 7? I want to be Master of My Domain!  ;D

BenYeeHua

This is normal, because Driver Genius has loaded Driver to prevent killing the process.

And yes, Driver Genius(驱动精灵)is having many issues, like when boot, it will scanning the hardware and causing jump out for game, if you run the game before it scan.

Disable UAC don't works, and can I know what's processes you want to kill? :)
And yup, Process Lasso will not having this ability to killing any processes as it like, as it need a driver to do that, which is very easy to causing trouble.

gamesturbator

Too many to remember as it happens pretty randomly. Often, Lasso tells me I don't have permission when it happens (not every time, but often). My account is administrative, I've disabled DEP and via registry hack forced Windows 8 to really disable UAC. Last year I reported that it would not force terminate Steam when it hung. But lately it's been successful in terminating Steam without fail. It really does appear to be an arbitrary issue. The issue seems to stem from Windows 8 itself and when a program or game hangs it's as if Windows 8 tries to nullify Lasso's power to manage hung apps. I have a friend who is an absolute genius when it comes to operating systems and maybe he'll have an idea why Windows 8 is behaving this way.

BenYeeHua

Hmm, I would said that "upgrade" to windows 8.1 first?
And did you reinstall Process Lasso, and how about your anti-virus. :)

I hope this is not the Driver Genius driver is protecting the wrong software. ;D

gamesturbator

I am run Windows 8.1. I accidentally upgraded to 8.1 even though I chose to NOT upgrade  :o Hopefully, MS has fixed the mouse issue with 8.1.

Regarding antivirus protection: Still have Eset installed. Windows Defender has NO right click features available in the system tray (even with a registry hack you can only add an option to scan files, nothing else), rendering it a clunky 3-legged dog, far as I'm concerned. Eset allows one to pause or disable via the taskbar button, plus it automatically switches to gamer mode when you run a full screen application. And every review of security products I've read (including actual side by side demonstrations in video reviews) shows that, while it is pretty good, it still doesn't do as well as Eset.

Yes, I did reinstall Lasso after completely removing it. The license prompt hasn't happened since, but if it does I was sent  a special replacement key in case it happens again.

Yeah, regarding Driver Genius I think it's appalling that ANY 3rd party software cannot be force terminated due to lack of "permission", unless it's an antivirus program which is a security feature in itself (Eset even allows you to enable or disable it's self protection). Slimdrivers is a much, much better piece software.  ;D

BenYeeHua

QuoteHopefully, MS has fixed the mouse issue with 8.1.
MS has a workaround for this issues, and if you are playing game that support raw input, this should not be a issues.
Just follow the instruction, then adding Explorer.exe into it, which always running, and you should not worry about it if you are using Desktop, not Laptop. ;)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279
----
For the Windows Defender, yup, too many people hate it is a ninja, and it only report if it found virus. ;D
----
Anyways, it look more likely some software protected it, it can be ESET, or some anti-hack driver(like the Valve Anti Cheat) doing that.

gamesturbator

I updated to 8.1 yesterday as a test (though I already had LOL). The mouse problem was extremely prominent. The darn fixes that MS offers for 8.1 ALL told me that they were not compatible with "this version of Windows", which just frustrated the heck out of me. I ran MarkC_Windows_8.x+7_MouseFix registry tweak and it fixed that (far as I could tell). Anyway, rolled back to normal Window 8 for now.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: gamesturbator on May 21, 2014, 03:24:20 AM
I updated to 8.1 yesterday as a test (though I already had LOL). The mouse problem was extremely prominent. The darn fixes that MS offers for 8.1 ALL told me that they were not compatible with "this version of Windows", which just frustrated the heck out of me. I ran MarkC_Windows_8.x+7_MouseFix registry tweak and it fixed that (far as I could tell). Anyway, rolled back to normal Window 8 for now.
Interesting, did you installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903939 ?
Because the link that I given you is just the ways to adding it into registry, not a patch. :)
---
Just curious, beside the mouse issues, what is the reason that you don't update to Windows 8.1, or Windows 8.1 Update 1?
Unicode software issues?