unable to disable logging in Process Lasso 6.8.0.4

Started by anthropos, June 10, 2014, 10:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthropos

Greetings!

I just noticed that - for my machines (Win 8.1 Update in 32 and 64 bit) - the option to disable the action log is no longer working; Process Lasso still logs everything it does. I disabled it recently to further save the battery life on my tablet even by the merest means and after the last update I am no longer able to do so. No reset and reconfiguration prevents Process Lasso from writing the action log.

BenYeeHua

WFM, I untick the "Logging enabled" and it stop logging anything(even after restarted Process Lasso), so I guess it is something only happen with your computer setup.
If there are other people facing the same issues, please reply at here to let me know, so it is more easy to find out why it happen. :)
---
BTW, you can power save more by not running Process Lasso GUI, and also slowing down the Refresh internal. ;)

anthropos

Maybe something went wrong during the update as the logging option were already disabled. I simply deinstall Process Lasso and reinstall it again. Like I said, this happened on three different machines and the only same thing is that they updated PL and had their action log already disabled.

And thank you for the further tips, the battery life is the only strength of an Iconia W510.  ;D

anthropos

Sadly, this behaviour continues even after de-installing, restarting and reinstalling Process Lasso. I disabled every option related to logging and PL begins to log shortly afterwards every time. O well, I hope this vanishes as fast it appeared.

edkiefer

disabling log seems to work here fine (latest version) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: anthropos on June 10, 2014, 11:11:28 AM
And thank you for the further tips, the battery life is the only strength of an Iconia W510.  ;D
Yup, Atom is worst now, but it will be better after a few years, as Intel has change the research rate of Atom to more faster, for getting mobile market.
---
I just tested for disabled the log for 5 mins, and it is still disabled.

Maybe you can try list the dll that loaded into Process Lasso+Governor(as I don't know who is managing the log. ::)) and post at here, it can be some other software that causing this issues. :)
QuoteYou can download this software, extract it, on the extracted folder, holding shift and right click, click on "Open Command Windows here", then run this command.
listdlls -v processlasso.exe >pldll.txt
listdlls -v processgovernor.exe >pgdll.txt
And also click accept the EULA, if you are just a normal user. ;)

Then the extracted folder should be having pldll.txt and pgddl.txt, and it will contain all dll info that loaded into processlasso.exe, and you can post it on here by Attach it. :)

offchu

Same problem here. Also "Disable CPU Core Parking during ProBalance restraint" selection won't persist.

Win 7 x64

BenYeeHua

Thank for the dll list, so far I found a few point, and I need the OP reply too to confirm the similar point. :)

1.Did both of your Windows Language is not English?
Based on the dll list, there are some corrupt, which showing it is not English.
This might be the reason why it don't works.

2.Both of you are not using the same anti-virus, Comodo, right?

3.I found 2 dll has been inject into Process Lasso(not Process Governor).
a.DisplayFusion
b.Raptr
I guess this should not affecting this function, as both of them are for UI.

anthropos

I will do it too and update this post then.
Until then, I am not using Comodo just Windows Defender; and all my Windows versions are German ones with German Display Language on two machines and on one machine with English Display Language. Process Lasso works two times in English and two times in German.

I now got the first list from my tablet; the other machine is busy making a full backup and I will redo this on it when it is ready again.

BenYeeHua

QuoteUntil then, I am not using Comodo just Windows Defender; and all my Windows versions are German ones with German Display Language on two machines and on one machine with English Display Language. Process Lasso works two times in English and two times in German.
So, all are coming with German, when you buy it?
Because just changing the display language don't change the system itself is having difference locale language. :)

edkiefer

There does seem to be a bug here , I left log disabled all day, and noticed some logging is being writen , the "Probalance restraint ended" action seems to show, but not otheres, like power config or game, or lower priority .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, there should be a bug for the beta that changed/updated the log system, as my log is clean up after update to it.
Quote6.8.0.4 Fix GUI Fix slow app init in recent builds due to large log files

edkiefer

yes, saw that but your not getting any logs with it disabled for long time ?
I am of course on latest build .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I do not testing for disable it for a long time yet, testing it now. ;)

edkiefer

I cleared the log and disabled log and within a hr or so I get "Probalance restraint ended" logs only .
Mainly from my browser , alt-tabing it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, so at least the "Probalance restraint ended" log is easy to reproduce, but I wonder did the logging can't be disable(which is mostly the topic saying about) is the same bug or not.

edkiefer

Yes, the others need to comment whats being logged with it disabled, if there getting other logging to .
Bitsum QA Engineer

offchu

I only get "Probalance restraint ended" logs with logging disabled.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: offchu on June 12, 2014, 03:33:34 PM
I only get "Probalance restraint ended" logs with logging disabled.
Thank for the info, as least we know 3 of us is the same bug, and it is not about windows language, which is a good news I guess. :)

So I guess the OP is having difference bug, or just don't observe correctly?
Because he said that
QuoteProcess Lasso still logs everything it does
And normally user only has Restraint log enabled, so you know. ;)

anthropos

Sorry, I was away the last days and not on my other machine, so I had not the chance to upload the other dll list. Maybe the topic title and my wording are misleading as I never specified if I only see one type of events in the log or all types of events.
Till now I only see the action "ProBalance restraint ended", so I think it could be the same bug as I just checked if the log is active.

BenYeeHua

Thank for the info, and I think no need to upload the DLL list, as it is a bug with Process Lasso.
And thank for reporting it early, so we know it is a bug that happen after this beta.  :)

So, this bug is about the "ProBalance restraint ended" keep logging, even logging is disabled.

anthropos

Glad to be of any help, although it was mostly a coincidence.  ;D

BenYeeHua

If you know, sometimes you need some lucks to found some hidden bugs. ;D
Normally we just test by doing the daily use, which mostly is the default setting works or not, and most of the time, it is already tested by the dev. :)

Jeremy Collake

Thanks guys, I am working on this.

BenYeeHua is right, after years of incremental maintenance, we had a bit of feature creep happen. With all these features, the chances of any one, or combination of features, malfunctioning increases. Particularly non-default settings. This is a good example of such an error.

The good news is that it's non-critical.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.