Feature request: mouse-over text in running processes window

Started by mjdl, October 07, 2009, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdl

Hello,
Since the enhancements to the Running processes window, I almost never use the Vista task manager to see what's running (or should not be running!). I also appreciate the drag-and-drop column rearrangement.

So this is my feature request: I'd like the option to have a tool-tip-like pop-up listing for the current running process row the mouse pointer is stopped over (say for 200msec. or longer). This vertical listing should reflect the order of columns currently in effect in the Running processes window and should display the full length of each column's text (maybe there should be a cut-off of, say, 1/3 the horizontal screen size, since command lines can be very long). The pop-up background should probably be transparent, if the OS supports that--it would make the tool-tip less visually heavy-weight.

The objective is to have a rapidly accessible display of process information--no horizontal scrolling necessary.

Since this would involve a fair amount of computation resources (making sure the entire pop-up is visible on the screen, once its format has been calculated, etc.), it should be optional.

An alternative would be to have the full list tool-tip displayed only on the Process Name column, other columns would just display the full text of the column/row cell the mouse pointer has dwelled upon--this actually might be better.

Does anyone else second this feature?

Jeremy Collake

I have good news for you -- I actually have been planning to add that for some time, and intend to have it implemented before this current beta series goes final. I also plan to have tooltips for ProBalance events on the graph completed by the next final.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

mjdl

Quote from: jeremy.collake on October 08, 2009, 07:49:25 PM
I have good news for you -- I actually have been planning to add that for some time, and intend to have it implemented before this current beta series goes final. I also plan to have tooltips for ProBalance events on the graph completed by the next final.

Splendid! At the risk of seeming to niggle, all those extra features should be on by default, but optional--some people may want to change the default, although I won't.

I haven't looked closely at the customer area of the website, but is there a way of sending you an update/renewal (amount at customer discretion) payment associated with the original customer license? I think your constant improvements have to be rewarded in some fashion.

Jeremy Collake

I agree. I will be sure to add an option to disable the tooltips.

In the Support area I only have the options to upgrade some licenses to lifetime and to renew expired licenses. Neither allows you to input your own value. I suppose, at present, the best way to reward any new work is simply to buy more licenses. Subsequent license purchases will automatically be added to your existing account, assuming the purchase was associated with the same email address.

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

I added process listview tooltips to v3.65.7 beta. Hover over the process name and you'll see the tooltip with basic process information. I still have more information to add to it, and still need to add the option to disable the feature. I also still must complete the graph tooltips.