ProBalance Counters - Front and center (v6.9.2.11 beta)

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 21, 2014, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

ProBalance Counters - Front and center (v6.9.2.11 beta)

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

I don't know it is hard or not, but maybe also showing the process that get most amount of restraints today? :)
But ya, just suggestion, as I might be crazy to seeing that process get so much restraints and go uninstall it, unless it has a switch to turn it off. ::)
---
Or maybe just showing running processes that get most restraints while it is running, and also showing the last process that get restraint too.
Of cause a switch to disable this 2 function will be better, or I really will be crazy to try reduce the amount of restraints. ;D

Jeremy Collake

Shhh.... ;)

I am releasing ProBalance Insights soon, which will show that information and more.

Jeremy Collake

But as for adding it to the graph, -- yes, I may show the most acted on process as well. I'll think about it. I don't want to clutter it up too much, but that would be important to show.

edkiefer

The graph already shows restrainted process if you hover louse over yellow band . .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on August 22, 2014, 11:34:29 AM
The graph already shows restrainted process if you hover louse over yellow band . .
Yes, but it is not useful than checking the log to know last restraint process, as it gone too fast, if you has a fast refresh rate for GUI. :)

edkiefer

the first number "xx probalance restraints " what is that count from , total log amount ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

No, it's an independent counter stored in the registry.

edkiefer

ok, cause my logs have more than whats showing   .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it's because it's only been in recent versions that the counter is recorded. So, there will be some disparity between the log and counter, until the old logs rotate out.

Using a simple counter is much more efficient and reliable than trying to count log entries.

This is just the beginning of the new statistics collection. I'll be releasing a much more detailed view very soon!

Tarnak

Just updated to v6.9.3.0 ...My PL shows "4417 ProBalance Restraints. 720 Today."  ;)

BenYeeHua

You beat me, I only has 855 ProBalance Restraints, 89 Today, too bad it is not 69. 8)

edkiefer

mine is very low, only 43 restraints with only few in a day .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

It depend on how strong your CPU single thread performance and the software that are using, so it really don't matter too much, as it is just for compare with your computer setup only. ;)

edkiefer

Yup, it also depends on how you use system, I am not heavy multitasking so mine is low and having fairly fast CPU helps .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Hmmm...

I think maybe showing yesterday restraints too?
So you can compare yesterday with today, and see that did there are any strange software or not. :)

But ya, it is just for monitoring how many CPU usage the background is using, if you hit 1k restraints in 1 day, you should check for it, like uninstall or disable or just set the most restraint background process CPU priority to Below Normal/Low. ;)

edkiefer

seems to be correct for me, today is says 1 and in log i have only one today .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

When I release 'ProBalance Insights', sometime here soon, you can see more clearly what processes have been historically acted on. Of course, the 'Restraints' column in the process list also gives a less accurate hint.

Whether you have 1 or 1000 ProBalance actions in any given day; either is fine. Often times the same process will be acted on over and over, increasing the count. And that's fine, it's the way it was designed to operate.

The most important thing is finally making it clear what Lasso is doing. ProBalance has always been the core feature, but it wasn't made the center of attention. That's changing.

If you are eager to get additional details, check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ProcessLasso\Counters  (see subkeys). You'll see per-process counts, last acted timestamps, and restraint durations. This (and more) is what will be shown in the 'ProBalance Insights' dialog.

I suppose I could publish a quick Alpha of ProBalance Insights today, maybe.

BenYeeHua

Sound like a good feature/software that let you understand more about ProBalance or Restraints, like a advanced version. :)