Bitsum Game Optimizer

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 23, 2014, 01:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

This is the name for the new game optimizer that is coming. Any better suggestions?

When? v1.0 within the next 30 days.

Count on it. I'm really rocking it over here.

One thing I'll need is some graphics design work. We want it to look snazzy.

Unlike other Bitsum tools, the UI will be the epitome of simplicity. Advanced options will be accessible, just hidden. Of course, that's the obvious desired UI design :). Point is, I'll be succeeding this time.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

what would some of the feature options look like , what will it do ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I almost laid out that, but am going to keep the feature list confidential for a bit longer. There is new and old stuff.

BenYeeHua

Hmm....
Gamer Lasso? ::)
QuoteAdvanced options will be accessible, just hidden.
This, I want it hidden in the About or Options, and it will be unlocked by using this!
â†'â†'â†"â†"←â†'←â†'BA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code

Opera also using this to hide advanced settings, so why not. ;)
---
Anyways, the other ways that I like to unlock advanced settings is also by clicking the Logo in the about 5 times, for Google, they are using 7 times. :)

But as this is about gaming, so why not use Konami code. :D

edkiefer

heh, its hard to give name w/o knowing feature set  ;D

IMO I think it's safe to post features, I doubt very much anything would be leaked or anything, but that's up to you of course  :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

LOL, I like the 'Easter Egg' approach of unlocking core features.

One more week guys - then I will give the feature list. I've got 4 core features right now, but things are still evolving. As soon as I'm ready to show you guys the Alpha, then I'll be more comfortable revealing the feature set to supporters. Right now I need to maintain my own creative clarity.

Much of it is nothing new. Same old optimizations, packaged in a better and easier to use form.

There will be at least one new feature though. None of it will be world-changing.

edkiefer

ok, I see .

From a marketing stand point , this needs to have features focused on gaming other than PL or why would new product pay off (for you and clients ) .

Yes, no problem waiting .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

That's right, and they will be focused specifically on gaming. Some classic Bitsum features will be tuned specifically for gaming, and others will be directly applicable for gamers... I think you guys will like it and it'll turn out really well. It's something I've been thinking about a long time, so have it pretty well mapped out. Sorry I can't be more specific yet, but will be soon, and definitely *do* have a clear game-plan.

Probably I can reveal the details later this week, after I return from a 2 day 'vacation'. If I reveal them now, it'd really amp up pressure to get this thing out. Also, it'd start a discussion, and I'd be in the midst of thinking about feedback, etc..

Don't worry, there will be time to give your feedback on it before it gets anywhere near final. I very much value the input you guys give me, so you will be the first to see it, and hear details about it.

BenYeeHua

Hmm...
I guess I should hold on until the Alpha is coming out, before saying too much without knowing nothing. :)

Jeremy Collake

Planned feature set for version 1.0:

1. ProBalance tuned for Gaming (when in Gaming mode)
2. Selective file-system compression of game folders
3. Custom power profile 'Bitsum Optimized'  (or similar). Disables core parking and CPU frequency scaling.
4. Automatic entry/exit of 'Gaming Mode', invokes our custom power profile
5. Backup of saved games to cloud (maybe)

I have a few other things in the cooker, but these are the things I can whip right out - with the UI and productization being the largest blocker.

edkiefer

Quote from: support on August 28, 2014, 03:43:31 PM

3. Custom power profile 'Bitsum Optimized'  (or similar). Disables core parking and CPU frequency scaling.

I have a few other things in the cooker, but these are the things I can whip right out - with the UI and productization being the largest blocker.
Sounds interesting , simplifies the game and power profile merging .

2. "Selective file-system compression of game folders"
Can you explain what advantages this does ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, simplification is the goal.

File system compression reduces disk I/O size, which is more often a bottleneck than is the CPU, and compression/decompression overhead is negligible anyway.

edkiefer

I always thought that slows things down, would it be similar to windows compression used to save file size on HD ?

Oh, any thought on shutting down PL GUI or at least log during gaming mode ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

No, I/O speed is infinitely slower than compression overhead. Also, decompression is very rapid. The only real overhead is in compression, and games read much more data than they write.

It would utilize NTFS compression, so same thing as Windows uses.

This is one of the optimizations XBox uses.

Game data is often large, so the benefit of only having to read 50%+ less is a decent optimization in most cases. Of course, some games will do their own compression, negating the advantage.

Jeremy Collake

Maybe the log can be suspended or new entries cached, we'll see. There's so much going on in the background (in general or the whole OS) that I'm not convinced that it matters. It just happens to be visible, so it's more a user perception deal. Still, no reason not to suspend new log writes until a game ends.

edkiefer

Its only a issue if you happen to have processes that just gets to the trigger point, so it gets constant logs on an off restraint .
Would it be problem to pause or close GUI and enable it after games shuts down ?

I leave it running all the time I don't noticed a issue normally , I don't have graph on .

On compression, I have not used it since old days  of PII CPU , W95/98 .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, that *would* be a good idea. I've already had people say they'd like an auto-minimize-to-system-tray, at the very least - for cases where they inadvertently leave the GUI open. Having an option to minimize it when Gaming Mode is entered at the very least...

edkiefer

could also lower the priority of PL during game mode only , to below normal , if that helps any .

I guess more options as long as not trouble is better .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: support on August 28, 2014, 03:43:31 PM

1.Like above, a auto change to the refresh rate and pause the GUI will be good.

2.I see you both talk a lot about it.
But ya, most game has compressed it, and I also tried it, it look like it really don't compress any much more, unless it is just a lot of XML files...

Maybe also provide a function to defrag it?
This should be helps, as the data is random read from difference files, so put them together will helps reducing the access time of HDD. :)
I has do some research on defrag, it is fun to know that, which sector I should put the data on.

The best place for best access time is under the resting zone of the head, not the most outer edge, because after reading/writing the data, it will always going back to this place, like the picture in the wiki. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_read-and-write_head
(Unless the software is Sequential Read or Write, the resting zone is the best place)

3.So, it will let the user select which Power Plan to copy over, and create it as a new Profile, then modify it?
Of just based on the Performance Power Plan?

4.Sound ok.

5.This.
Maybe only backup the save file, unless the user wanna backup whole game file?

If it is save file, you may use Dropbox or xxxBox, or copy over to specified location.
As many user sync the file from the folder, so by copy over to the specified location or external hard disk, it will auto sync by using the own sync software. ;)

I guess the only issues is how can you get most the game saving folder/files, unless you provide a system to letting the user contribute where is the save file is/are.
----
Quote from: edkiefer on August 28, 2014, 07:00:30 PM
could also lower the priority of PL during game mode only , to below normal , if that helps any .

I guess more options as long as not trouble is better .
I guess by pause the GUI should be enough, as the GUI is using more CPU usage than the governor.
But ya, reducing/auto change the refresh rate of governor should also be enough.

edkiefer

having specific core and GUI refresh rates in game mode would also work well .
I have GUI at 5sec for default and my core uses more than GUI if GUI is minimized , if not about same with core at 1sec refresh .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

That's a good point, I could dynamically adjust the refresh rates... slow the GUI down when it's not in use. I would actually like to increase the governor's refresh rate (decrease interval) in some circumstances.

The new custom power profile will start off as a clone of the system High Performance power profile.

HDD defragmentation is pretty well covered, but I may toss it in. I'd imagine most serious gamers are going to be on SSDs, or will soon be on SSDs.

Yea, the saved game backups would just be a sync with an installed cloud provider. It's something other Game Optimizers offer, so still considering it.

Well, I better get to it. Now that I've revealed the initial set of features, I have to crank this on out quickly.

BenYeeHua

Ya, I guess the only function that it is missing is the I/O priority, which is also the PL/ProBalance missing too.
It will be great that it can also reduce the background read/write while gaming.

QuoteHDD defragmentation is pretty well covered, but I may toss it in. I'd imagine most serious gamers are going to be on SSDs, or will soon be on SSDs.
Ya, but the point is, most gamer is not high class, if you visit many China forum, you will know that most of them are buying something like Nvidia 610, 710 with 2GB VRAM.

And even they own medium class graphic, they also don't always buy SSD, because they scare of SSD and they also think SSD don't worth the price, based on the DiskSolid Space...
They also don't own 120HZ monitor too, if you wanna know, they also don't think IPS is a good choose for normal use too, as they think they should put more money on CPU and Graphic card, the other thing is "not important".

Anyways, this(defrag) is not a important feature, the I/O priority(or I/O restraint) is much more important than this, as it can also used on Process Lasso too. :)

BenYeeHua

I just found that, you may wanna support RTSS(Rivatuner Statistics Server) for this gaming edition.
So the gamer can just check for CPU usage, and last/current restraint processes on the OSD, while playing full screen. ;)

You can found the RTSS sample/SDK by installing the latest MSI AB(with latest RTSS as bundle). :)

edkiefer

How is this coming , 9 days till 1 month  ;D

I need something to beta test since MSI AB is in a pause  :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It's actually coming along well.

I may be a bit late, but I've clarified what it will be (to myself), and changed the feature set of v1 a bit (confidential, sorry - you will see soon).

It will start coming together quickly in the near future.

The honest to God truth is that I *must* release new products to generate revenue since I've sold so many Lifetime Lasso licenses. Most companies are able to 'milk' their customers for years. It's a miracle I have the revenue I do given it's from almost all new customers.

Lasso v7.0 will come first, then Bitsum Game Optimizer, then additional projects I have in the works.

Trust me, not bullshitting around on this one! I know sometimes I say I plan or hope to do this or that... but not in this case. Even if I'm a bit late, it will come for CERTAIN.

edkiefer

ok, good it is coming along , I was kidding on 9days .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

In 9 days, you will see enough new awesome stuff to be excited I hope ;).

What am I doing today, for instance? Building out the crowd-sourced ProBalance activity and white-lists (exclusions).

I am on fire, for now. Trying to make the most of it. It's always fleeting.

BenYeeHua

QuoteThe honest to God truth is that I *must* release new products to generate revenue since I've sold so many Lifetime Lasso licenses. Most companies are able to 'milk' their customers for years. It's a miracle I have the revenue I do given it's from almost all new customers.
Because they always don't provide free upgrade, so did Windows.(except Windows 8.1 for normal customer only) ;)

QuoteWhat am I doing today, for instance? Building out the crowd-sourced ProBalance activity and white-lists (exclusions).
Sound good, but I guess this is hard. :)