Gargoyle, I just flashed it to the WiFi router

Started by BenYeeHua, August 24, 2014, 05:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Just flashed Gargoyle, so far so good, I think. :)
Except I just faced 1 unknown connection issues that need me to reconnect WiFi, so I just disable the ANI which will causing low performance, and it should be fixed in latest truck of OpenWRT, or BB version.
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12372

I guess the only issues that I am facing is how to edit the config to run the command for disable ANI, which need using VIM, and I just solved it. :)
---
I also want to flash it to the poor DSL modem which is DSL-520T, based on the statistics, it get Overruns many times, which means that it somehow can't accept/process too much packet, I think.

I might try the old RouterTech as the other need some advanced ways to flash it, but too bad most of the link is down, so I think it is not maintain anymore...
And it also don't has good QoS, so I guess I should just leave it alone... :P
---
I got another 2 main WiFi router which is WR541G/542G v7, but too bad it is just 2 MB ROM, so I just give up.
---
And ya, after flashed this firmware, I found the N-mode issues fixed too, which causing some data corrupt or something like that, I fail to browsing the DSL Modem because of this bug, and need to use B/G mode only.

Edit:Deleted the Mac Address for security.

BenYeeHua

Hmm... the WiFi hang again, but I think it might be the OS don't like new AP added

But I will see did this happen again, as it look like 1.6.1 causing many people having WiFi issues too.

Jeremy Collake

Sadly, the open source wireless drivers OpenWRT based firmwares use are often inferior to the closed source drivers. Sometimes they work well, sometimes not. Depends on the device. And client devices. And many other variables. It's a real shame. The wireless chip manufacturers simply refuse to make their drivers open source, so the job is left to clones or open initiatives that are far behind the official driver development.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yup, and even worst that, they also like to release a crappy "upgraded" hardware version that only has 2 MB ROM.
Anyways, I found the issues.
It is because it can't handle 3 antenna at the same time at Max Power, so I just reduce the 29dBm to 20dBM (100mw) and it is working fine. ;)
(or 30dBm Max after update to Gargoyle newest version, I guess it is just virtual one, as it should not having so high power, so it will fall back to Max power allowed on Hardware)
I also curious how is the original firmware handle 3 antenna.

And they just release a newer version that disable ANI as default, so I don't need to add the script anymore, they/he also start working on support the firmware based on OpenWRT BB.

PS:I guess the ANI is the issues that you are talking about, which is caused by closed source driver, and they can only workaround it.
---
And ya, there are still many thing I learn, and also don't find some answer.

1.Gargoyle don't support QoS on LAN
It is a bit sad, because I wanna just using this router as the gateway, and use QoS on the Hotel customer that is connect via the crappy WiFi modem, as they like to upload and blocking the crappy 512kbps ADSL line...
But ya, they can just use this LAN as WAN too, this is not possible with the original firmware.
So, there are still something I can do if I want. :D

2.Multi-AP based on 3 antenna and how's the efficiency
Nah, I think it is not possible for using the same WiFi chip for difference AP for each antenna, and difference channel too, but it should be allow to create multi-AP.
I guess Gargoyle may start support multi-AP web config on BB, but it is just my guess.
And I think you can only create 2 difference channel AP if you has 2.4 and 5GHz router, which has 2 WiFi chip. :)

3.Don't select 40MHz or any channel other than 1, 6, 11 with 2.4Ghz router, unless you wanna become a bad guys, go buy a 5GHz and use it.
Really, I found the original firmware use 40MHz as default config, which will causing interference to other WiFi router, unless you reduce the TX power to really low, so it don't go too far.
But as I has other router nearby this router, so I can't do this, and I don't has reason to do this, as I don't has download speed like 1Mb/s...

And there are many other user don't know about interference and WiFi router too, it is fine for letting them as default config(which mainly using 6 and 11 channel, and will communicate with other AP to reduce the interference, unless it is Bluetooth of other thing), but when you are just tweaking the Channel setting that you don't know, and causing interference to 6, 11 Channel...

4.Don't think about flashing third-part firmware into ADSL modem
I guess this is my result, I found OpenWRT and RouterTech(not updated 2 year ago, and their download website is down too) has less feature for ADSL, but more feature for QoS etc.
As a result, most user just flash OpenWRT or DD-WRT into their WiFi router, then just dial-up into the ADSL modem, and problem solved. :P

5.Some people want to use a computer as a ADSL router or LAN router or WiFi router
I really don't know about this, but this sound like a good choose.
Don't need to care too much about future like IPv6, IPv8 will be supported by the router firmware or not.
Don't need to care about too much bug for firmware, like the DD-WRT will causing the LAN stop working.

Except the power consumption and driver support, it is a good choose if you using it as a small server that for downloading thing, just also adding a router feature into it. ;D

6.Strange heat for the crappy 2MB ROM WiFi router, and system easy to dead.
This is very strange, based on this router, it has nearly no CPU usage at all if it is not used as gateway, but for this 2MB ROM WiFi router, it is very easy to dead.
But the LAN router function is still working, just the sys LED is gone.

And I checked for it, every single device including the CCTV is using the ADSL router as gateway.
So I has really no idea why it is so easy to dead, as the free Memory is also enough, which is 5029 after I disabled DHCP and use ADSL router as DHCP.
Free=5029, Busy=1, Bind=0, Inv=0/15, Bc=0/4, Dns=0, cl=160, fc=0/0, sq=0/0

But ya, I guess the only answer is the WiFi, as it is very easy to reach 1k ms if at least 1 WiFi device that connected to it will causing strange high latency.

7.No more nearly disconnect that caused by WiFi mouse.
Not sure about this, as it can be the WiFi mouse is using a less power battery, and "fixed" by using a new battery, or it is because of this firmware.
But it is not happen anymore, so far.

8.So the speed is dynamic!?
Somehow I also get the CCX Diagnostic Utility for install newest driver for my WiFi device, it is showing it will drop to 1Mbps for the receive rate, if there is no data.
I also found that no matter what, the WiFi driver will always using static transmit speed based on WiFi signal strength, no matter how much I tried to enable some Power Save on the driver registry config.
But nah, this should not be a big issues, it should not using too much watt for it.

And it also showing that the dBm or power is dynamic(like 4-6 mW only), I guess this is more important for just dynamic speed.
It also showing it support max 100 mW.

9.The Netbook which using Broadcom chip is still the best one
yup, no matter how strong the WiFi router is, it always fail to connect the other Hotel WiFi.
But this little Broadcom chip can, how strong it is. ;)

---
Anyways, this is what I get for flashing the Gargoyle, so far so good. :)
I guess the only bad thing for the original Firmware is, the N mode will causing packet loss for specify data(and also backdoor), and I still don't know why it will happen.
Lucky it is not a issues on my laptop, at least. :D

Jeremy Collake

Glad you found the cause. Boosting the tx power (or any other setting changes) always requires some testing, it's true for even stock firmwares.

I like Gargoyle quite a bit, it's pretty well done.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

I agree, that is why I choose it first, as OpenWRT look like don't has luci installed as default, and it don't release small update fix like Gargoyle.

Gargoyle is much more user friendly, and it provide a great tutorials for how to setup it, including for WiFi router that only has 1 port like this one.
The only thing that might not friendly is the 40MHz and TX power, it lack a bit information about what's do, and the store firmware auto select 40MHz(upper or lower) for the channel that you set for 20MHz.

And also it is using 192.168.1.1 as default router IP, which might causing some user fail to access it if they are accessing it via other router LAN port(like this one only has 1 LAN port), as many ADSL router set 192.168.1.1 as default IP too.

The only thing that I feel is the delay of boot and webpage, because of the 5s waiting for safe boot(which by holding the WPS button) and the webpage sometime need a long time to save/upload the setting.