PL for android

Started by DeadHead, October 17, 2014, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadHead

I think this might have been asked about before, but anyways... any plans for a PL version for android? If not, could anyone here point me in the right direction for an app that at least is similar in functionality for android devices (rooted)?

My phones' performance is rather sluggish, and it seems that some apps would benefit getting their priority raised a bit, especially the actual phone-application. It sometimes takes almost two minutes from the moment I press dial 'til the damn thing acutally makes the call! :D
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

I've not seen anything like Lasso for Android.

The architecture is different, so any similar app would actually be quite a lot different in it's implementation.

The 'auto app closers' are probably as close as we'll ever get on Android.

I've found that RAM makes all the difference for Android devices. As soon as I got a device with 3GB of RAM (Note 3, now Note 4), all the performance issues I ever had with Android were gone.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

DeadHead

Well, I did find this one app that I'm evaluating right now. It's not yet another ram cleaner/booster, but this one claims to "Unlike other simillar applications do, this application will not change the lowmemorykiller setting, will not clean up RAM, will not speed up processor/OC, etc. but this application will manage the kernel process for all layers, so you will get the fastest for any processes (anything) in your ROM."

So far so good, but I'll give it a couple of days before giving my verdict. My phone really should have the performace needed for the very few things I use it for, to me it seems there's a major flaw in the OS more than anything, at least in combination with this device, almost like running Windows with no drivers for the hardware whatsoever. The hardware is there and should be more than enough, so something else is the culprit for the terrible performance.

What I've seen so far after rooting and the installing this app, is a difference like night and day really. But as I said, I'll give it a couple of days.

Jeremy Collake

That is the worst app description I've ever heard. Makes me very suspicious. Maybe it's just a bad translation. Lots of scams in all software market places.

I mean, "manage the kernel process for all layers, so you will get the fastest for any processes" .. WTF?! Sounds like garbage.

BenYeeHua

Not sure about it, because the dev don't create a thread on XDA.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gejos.android.performancebooster&hl=en
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2723278

QuoteGot curious and decompiled the apk. Most of the stuff is license checking. Otherwise it sets a few process management properties and that's all.

Jeremy Collake

LOL, naturally license checking is the most important part :).

It's not unlike many PC Optimization utilities. Some literally have nothing more than a button and a fake graph. Yet people believe they work, and the vendors have profited from them. Makes me sick.

BenYeeHua

Ya, the famous fake paid Android Anti-virus(Virus Shield) is still a lesson for them. ;D
And Google has return their money to the user.

DeadHead

Ok, the app got uninstalled today, since my phone started to act up again just like before the installation of that program. So, it didn't seem to do anything at all. Weird stuff. Good thing it was free to try at least.

Google Play could use a serious cleanup I think. That place is a mess tbh.

Jeremy Collake

All app stores are messes. They got caught up in the total app count, mostly for marketing.

Honestly, I'd prefer them to be messy than restrictive and discriminatory.

But, ideally, there is some middle ground that maybe someday they will find.

DeadHead

Got any recommendations for trustworthy sites on the net that reviews applications for android?

BenYeeHua

At least the people that sell apps need to provide their address now, so it is not a bad thing.
But for something like adware virus trojan etc will still getting missed by Google, unless Google has a good virus scanner like their Google Search. ;)

Quote from: DeadHead on October 19, 2014, 03:49:28 PM
Got any recommendations for trustworthy sites on the net that reviews applications for android?
XDA?
Normally I just based on forum user review if they has a thread on XDA, and Play Store(which has some tips like ignore people that review without a Profile Picture).

If their apps get reviewed by famous website, they will also put the video/website on their apps detail.