The log will getting spam by a crashing software [ACCEPTED]

Started by BenYeeHua, September 06, 2014, 06:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

I just monitor for a few weeks to see how it is happen, and see that if there is any crashing software but not killed or handle by Crash Report software or WER yet, Process Lasso will getting log spam like this.
"2014-09-07 06:32:23","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 29 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:23","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:22","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 29 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:22","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:21","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 28 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:21","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:20","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 27 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:20","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:19","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 26 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:19","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:18","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 25 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:18","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:17","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 24 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""
"2014-09-07 06:32:17","360tray.exe","3348","Process launched","Parent zhudongfangyu.exe (1108), PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe","ASUS","user",""C:\Program Files (x86)\360\360Safe\safemon\360tray.exe" /start"
"2014-09-07 06:32:16","360tray.exe","3348","Process terminated","Ran for 13 hours 21 mins 23 secs. Average CPU use 0.05%.","ASUS","user",""

As you can see, the PID is the same, so it is the same process that is crashing but not fully crashed yet, or it is getting dump into a file.
This also happen to Firefox.exe a lot, when it is crashing but the Crash report don't handle the crash(99% of the time it will happen when it is exit and crashing), and it will spamming the log until I killed Firefox.exe

PS:All case is happen with their own crash report not dump the process yet, sometimes it will happen with WER too, until you click the WER windows to kill the processes. ;)
---
And ya, there is also has a very rare chance that it is trigger by Process Governor, and you need to exit Process Governor to stop this issues or let the Processes crash properly.

Too bad I don't has a clue for how to reproduce this...
---
I wonder can Process Lasso also monitor this issues too, like when it saw this happen, it will wait for 30s - 1 min, then ask the user to kill the crashing processes or not. :)

BenYeeHua

So this is a old bug, as the forum are telling me it has no new post/reply at least 180 days. ;)

Anyways, the most case that this spam log happen is, when the process(that spamming) has been hang/no respond, or in a status that are not hang or no respond.
(I has been facing sometimes with Firefox, as Firefox will report about old Firefox has been hang when you run it again, but sometimes there is 2-3 Firefox.exe but the Firefox don't saw it, I think it can be the UAC don't allow the new Firefox.exe to "see" it. :))

But I wonder can this become a feature?
For example, when Process Lasso detected processes that hang/no respond(and also spamming the log) and system don't do anything about it, then report the user about these processes and asking the user to kill it. :D

Jeremy Collake

Yes, my cursory analysis of this was wrong.

This is a rare problematic scenario. Let me think about it for a bit and I'll get back to you.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

drugsbunny

I am also getting this over and over in the logs its so annoying anyway to stop this? or should i just ignore it?

BenYeeHua

Jeremy Collake

Guidance to resolve this issue:

Go to 'Options / Log Settings'

then uncheck:

'Log process terminations'

The latter, at least, will default to OFF in future builds.

The cause is a logging anomaly when a process is in the in-between state of crashing, during the crash dialog or 'Windows is searching for solutions' dialog.

BenYeeHua

Yup, even worst when the WER is hanging and keeping the process there. :P

Jeremy Collake

This is something I'll definitely be taking care of in v9.

However, for now, in the last minor update to v8, I've disabled the 'process terminated' (not by Lasso) log events for new installations by default. This will at least prevent the issue for new users, unless they turn that log option on.

BenYeeHua

Interesting.

For now, the crashed process is gone, it will be hidden in Process Lasso, and also Windows Task Manager.
But the log still spamming inside the log, I wonder which Windows 10 update has changed this behave, and why MS choose to hide the crashed process, so you can't kill it manually. ???

So the only ways that left is just close Process Lasso... :P
---
And ya, I think this issues should be fixed, but not hide the log, because it has becoming worst.
It is not hanging on this state anymore...

QuoteThe cause is a logging anomaly when a process is in the in-between state of crashing, during the crash dialog or 'Windows is searching for solutions' dialog.

So it is not a simple logging anomaly, the process is indeed crashed, and it should be exit, but instead that, it is still hidden and "running", you can't run the same *.exe anymore.
You also can't do any delete or modify on the *.exe, because it is still "running". :P

So, unless you close/restart Process Lasso, or you will having more and more crashed "running" process being hidden in the darkness... :o

PS: I found this when I written a c++ program that somehow the compiler accept my if loop mistake and running for crashing. ::)
PS2: It should be fine for program that design to running more than 1 process, but it is still not good for biting the memory. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on July 20, 2016, 01:22:45 AM
Interesting.

For now, the crashed process is gone, it will be hidden in Process Lasso, and also Windows Task Manager.
But the log still spamming inside the log, I wonder which Windows 10 update has changed this behave, and why MS choose to hide the crashed process, so you can't kill it manually. ???

So the only ways that left is just close Process Lasso... :P
---
And ya, I think this issues should be fixed, but not hide the log, because it has becoming worst.
It is not hanging on this state anymore...

So it is not a simple logging anomaly, the process is indeed crashed, and it should be exit, but instead that, it is still hidden and "running", you can't run the same *.exe anymore.
You also can't do any delete or modify on the *.exe, because it is still "running". :P

So, unless you close/restart Process Lasso, or you will having more and more crashed "running" process being hidden in the darkness... :o

PS: I found this when I written a c++ program that somehow the compiler accept my if loop mistake and running for crashing. ::)
PS2: It should be fine for program that design to running more than 1 process, but it is still not good for biting the memory. :)
I don't follow how if you have termination processes off in logging, how logs can get spammed.
IMO log process terminations  and log process launches should be left disabled unless your doing some testing/debugging, for normal usage off.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 20, 2016, 06:42:44 AM
I don't follow how if you have termination processes off in logging, how logs can get spammed.
IMO log process terminations  and log process launches should be left disabled unless your doing some testing/debugging, for normal usage off.
Ok, then you means if I off the termination processes in logging, will it not hanging any process that crashed and hidden? :)
Because if I just off the log but PL still hanging the crashed processes, then I can't know about it, because it is not shown in Windows Task Manager, or any other Task Manager anymore... :P

edkiefer

Ok, I see but its not PL that is causing the process to crash/not responding , right
Its just the only way to can tell it happening.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 20, 2016, 09:03:31 PM
Ok, I see but its not PL that is causing the process to crash/not responding , right
Its just the only way to can tell it happening.
Yes, but it is PL hanging the process of processing the crashed process... Unless I closed PL, or the process will keep crashed and hidden in the Task Manager...

So you can't do anything to the *.exe, as it is still "running", you can only close PL to let the Windows continue handle the crashed processes.

I wonder how many users has notice this issues, as the log has been disabled as default, and I found it by compile and run a software, but the software crashed, and suddenly CodeBlock telling me it don't has access to the *.exe.
Then I open the PL and see the log is spamming, but I can't found it in the Process List, and also in the Windows Task Manager to end the crashed process, the only way is close PL governor. :P

edkiefer

Ok, now I  understand, I have never seen that but I also don't have a lot of crashing/not responding processes ever happening.

If you have a test exe that is easy to reproduce maybe zip it up and send to Jeremy.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 22, 2016, 06:32:16 AM
Ok, now I  understand, I have never seen that but I also don't have a lot of crashing/not responding processes ever happening.

If you have a test exe that is easy to reproduce maybe zip it up and send to Jeremy.
Well, too bad I deleted(overwrite) that code, but I think it may only happen if some software is connected with the crashed process, like CodeBlock? :)

It is midnight at here, so I may just looking for code that crash the software, and try to run it, to see did it happen or not. ::)

BenYeeHua

I confirm this issues is still happen, by crashing my software with crappy c++ code, lol ;D

Jeremy Collake

I am aware, thanks BenYeeHua. It happens temporarily, for a short period of time, when a process crashes (it should never crash). I am working on it.

The last reporter here had a *different* bug, but thanks for reminding me.

BenYeeHua

Ya, it look like this launch/terminations logging is a bit buggy, you may want to check the PL's Alpha thread, I reported a new bug there, you may want to moving it out as a topic. :)

Jeremy Collake

The situation presented here I've added safeties for, and am doing a second look at to be sure.

Thanks