Server rebuild

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 13, 2014, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I did a rebuild of the server to recover from some file system permission damage from a slip of the keyboard yesterday.

I didn't do it with 0 uptime, but almost.. getting the procedure down-pat.

Both servers are 100% functional, referencing the same DNS, until the old DNS entries expire
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

So I guess no any cracker found this permission issues and get some of the file before rebuild?
Or it is not something that will affect the network security? :)
---
And....
I think you break some functions for the forum, like the attachments...
QuoteYour attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

Jeremy Collake

It was *never* a security risk, just may have caused functional issues. I tried to repair them, but still the Forum wasn't working right, so finally I gave up.

I will fix the attachements, thanks

Jeremy Collake

Attachement issue was simply me not having a php module installed on the server to re-encode uploaded images (for safety). Either that or it failed an aggressive validity check I had enabled. Nothing related to this.

If you're curious, what happened was I accidentally changed ALL the file system permissions in /var . That caused ssh and other things to malfunction. I could hardly get access to the server, had to go through RackSpace's recovery console. I got ssh working again by fixing permissions in /var/run , but then saw the forum wasn't letting people log in.

So, I just reset it. I'll be sure to record permissions and ownership of the entire file system in the future, in case this ever happens again (though server rebuilds are fast too).

In linux, it's easy, with the slightest typo, to do some real damage!

BenYeeHua

Yup, I guess it is the encode issues, as the attach that I am trying to upload is image. :)
QuoteIn linux, it's easy, with the slightest typo, to do some real damage!
Nah, this is not limited to Linux only, just like the OpenSSL vulnerability(Heartbleed Bug), or delete the wrong file, and also real life. ;)