Process Lasso v7.1.3 beta adds 'Bitsum Highest Performance' power plan

Started by Jeremy Collake, November 12, 2014, 02:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

As we continue to refine our offerings to their most optimal forms, Process Lasso now creates a new power plan pre-configured for maximum CPU performance. It is named 'Bitsum Highest Performance'.

Users may utilize Process Lasso's default application power profiles to have this power plan automatically induced.

Also, as of v7.1.3.3 beta, Gaming Mode automatically induces this highly optimized power profile.

This is not supported in XP since it's power subsystem is entirely different and doesn't support the required features.

And, of course, when you uninstall Process Lasso, it will remove this custom power plan.

Enjoy!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

quick question, what is difference between windows own HP profile and this one ?

I took quick look and it looks the same , unless I changed my HP from it default (can't remember) .
In this last beta I see you did "Have Gaming Mode automatically induce the new 'Bitsum Highest Performance' power plan "

Now I have all my games set in app power management to HP , I guess they should be changed ?

Would be nice if you could highlight the app path and change the power profile and add , so you wouldn't have to delete and reenter each with new power profile .
Edit : just tested leaving the game with win HP profile and it messes up profiles, when game is closed it still in Bitsum HP power mode .
Ok, removing the game app power profile fixed the issue of wrong profile after closing .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The difference is that it disables core parking and CPU frequency scaling.

Yea, default app power profiles for games are redundant now. I'm still working out how to best handle this, and other details. There's much more logic to work out since there are overlapping features.

Jeremy Collake

I edited Ed's message instead of reply, sorry Ed...

I thought they were 100% with Win HP power profile mode.

No, default minimum CPU freq is 5% even in system defined High Performance mode. I'm sure they wanted to be Green.

BenYeeHua

Or they don't want to see some user asking that, why my clock don't reduce when it is High Performance. ;D

Jeremy Collake

I doubt that's it. Probably 1% of users have any awareness of their CPU's current clock speed.

Consider that you have to hit 'More plans' to even see the Windows default High Performance power plan. They are into green.

I believe I'm going to push a final on out with this change. I have a bunch more work to do and don't want to get mired and make users wait longer for this capacity I planned to add long ago.

edkiefer

With latest Intel processors if you use HP profile you still idle at 800-1600 depending on CPU model (hasswel, Ivy-bridge ), but when you do load cpu it won't go to intermediate speeds (2000, 2400, etc ) it will go right to max turbo boost .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

More aggressive ramp-up, makes sense. I may research that a bit, the aggressiveness/size of the steps up in frequency would be a useful setting to control.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on November 14, 2014, 08:54:23 AM
I doubt that's it. Probably 1% of users have any awareness of their CPU's current clock speed.

Consider that you have to hit 'More plans' to even see the Windows default High Performance power plan. They are into green.

I believe I'm going to push a final on out with this change. I have a bunch more work to do and don't want to get mired and make users wait longer for this capacity I planned to add long ago.
Hmm...

As I know, More plans is for Power Plans that are not used before, so it should not be counted?
---
And yes, I also found something interesting with Lenovo, they has disabled Core-parking(windows 8.1) for all Power Plans, it take awhile to enable it back to save power while using battery....
Based on the "time left", it is just adding like 20-30 min(4 hours 40min), as I don't has the tools to check, so it should can do more optimize on the CPU watt. ;)

Quote from: edkiefer on November 14, 2014, 10:22:23 AM
that is desktop , mobile , laptops might act differently .
Yup, laptop got more crap like Power Management, who know what it did to the Power Plans...

And for laptop, I just read about Haswell BIOS bug(most OEM got this bug, some of them fixed it by update BIOS), it look like it like to stuck with 0.77 Ghz.
And I still remember the poor low end Asus laptop, which will getting the throttle temp getting lower and lower while using... :P

Jeremy Collake

And yes, I also found something interesting with Lenovo, they has disabled Core-parking(windows 8.1) for all Power Plans, it take awhile to enable it back to save power while using battery....

You mean Lenovo's power management software disables core parking in all power profiles? Please clarify.

I actually have a Lenovo Ultrabook (Yoga 2 Pro). I'll check it out.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on November 15, 2014, 10:35:28 AM
You mean Lenovo's power management software disables core parking in all power profiles? Please clarify.

I actually have a Lenovo Ultrabook (Yoga 2 Pro). I'll check it out.
Yes, and I also checked that, each model has difference version/type of software.
So far I know 2 version, the first one that disabling the core-parking is having 4 module showing on the UI, the second one is showing the battery and dust clean inside the menu on the right-hand side, which is still unknown that did it disable or not.

Except Process Lasso auto disable Core-parking after install, then it should be Lenovo doing it. ;)
---
And ya, I also saw that on the park control, it is not showing the dot on "disable", so it means it is not having custom config (like Lenovo just change the default Power Plan config) or just a bug?