Call for bug testing of new beta series

Started by Jeremy Collake, January 05, 2010, 10:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I am finally getting close to v3.80, with its massive improvements. I am calling for all users to now not hold back on any bugs or anomalies they see in the current beta. Throw them at me ;).

Thanks to you all. Without the beta testers, our software wouldn't be of the quality it is.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chrismt

I appreciate that a single man can develop a fantastic software like Process Lasso

I have seen that chrome.exe uses too much CPU on my P4 PC

It just spike then and now.

Do you process lasso manage chrome.exe?

If its priority gets lowered then it usually affects browsing

I use the latest beta 3.79.17

It would be great if beta users could choose 'About' Process Lasso to check the version number if you right click the Process Lasso icon on the systray.

I also use Immunet Protect, a cloud antivirus

I would encourage you to install it on all your PC. Do you have any default rules for Immunet Protect?

http://www.immunet.com/

I don't need to see any logs and graph. Does un ticking it reduce RAM usage?

There must be an inbuilt feature in Process Lasso that sends information about processes running in a users PC to you. Can it benefit you?

watermelon

Going through your changelog, one item "•Change.Licensing: Lowered maximum nag wait to 5 seconds" is still at 10 seconds for every start.

That's with beta17.

Is it possible to have an extract-only version of Process Lasso? Unfortunately the installer doesn't like to be unpacked with Universal Extractor so I have to run the installer for every update. Though PL runs just fine with replacing/updating its files.
It would be great if one could use those on extract -> start all from one folder.  If you take this one step further why not make PL portable altogether? A simple option to stop using the registry and writing inside the profile folder, storing all settings inside the program folder.

Will be back if I find any bugs.  :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: chrismt on January 07, 2010, 01:57:01 AM
I have seen that chrome.exe uses too much CPU on my P4 PC
It just spike then and now.
Do you process lasso manage chrome.exe?

Chrome is unique. It self-manages its own priority much like Process Lasso does to other applications. Chrome creates an instance of itself for every tab/window you have open. For all that aren't visible, it lowers the priority to below normal until you make them visible again. For this reason, Chrome doesn't need managing. I wrote about this here: http://processlasso.blogspot.com/2009/12/chromes-smart-priority-adjustments.html

It would be great if beta users could choose 'About' Process Lasso to check the version number if you right click the Process Lasso icon on the systray.

I will consider that. Note that the version number is displayed in the tooltip of the system tray icon. So, hover over it and you will see the version number ;).

I also use Immunet Protect, a cloud antivirus
I would encourage you to install it on all your PC. Do you have any default rules for Immunet Protect?

I have special handling for most AV softwares, just to be safe. There is very little chance of any complications, but I will install that AV software just to be sure, and hard-code any default rules that are appropriate.

I don't need to see any logs and graph. Does un ticking it reduce RAM usage?

Yes, it lowers RAM usage and CPU usage a lot. Another BIG thing is the process icons in the 'all processes' list. If you disable them, it reduces RAM use by the Process Lasso GUI by 50% or more. They can be disabled in the view menu.

Of course, Process Lasso core's engine and the GUI never use much CPU or RAM, so its not a huge deal either way. Also remember that you can keep the GUI closed completely if you want, and just open it when you need it. You will no longer see the system tray icon, but your processes will still be managed by the background core engine (processgovernor.exe).

There must be an inbuilt feature in Process Lasso that sends information about processes running in a users PC to you. Can it benefit you?

Yes, it might be helpful, I will consider that for future versions.

Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: watermelon on January 07, 2010, 08:16:46 AM
Going through your changelog, one item "•Change.Licensing: Lowered maximum nag wait to 5 seconds" is still at 10 seconds for every start.

Yes, I raised it back to a maximum of 10 seconds. I'm sorry. I think 10 seconds is reasonable, and it seems to be the threshold at which SOME people purchase the software. I have to get some purchases, else I can't continue to develop at this pace.

It would be great if one could use those on extract -> start all from one folder.  If you take this one step further why not make PL portable altogether? A simple option to stop using the registry and writing inside the profile folder, storing all settings inside the program folder.

I already have plans to do just that ;). I have got the code all ready to run in 'portable mode', so its ready - I just have to start distributing a portable version (a simple archive). I will do this for v3.80.

Will be back if I find any bugs.  :)

Thanks ;)

chrismt

Hey,

Jeremy

I also use private firewall 7.0 and Hotspot shield a VPN software

Can you test them with Process Lasso?

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

Thanks!