GPU priority, an unused function on Windows

Started by edkiefer, August 04, 2013, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on August 04, 2013, 06:04:36 PM
Except GPU, until now Microsoft don't support the priority of GPU, if you running a browser at the background(with Hardware Acceleration enable) while gaming, you might found out the game performance reducing/laggy too....
I very hope that it will support the GPU priority...
I am going to guess MS just leaves it to the video driver to handle all GPU calls . I think it would be up to driver conditions to handle that .
It is already getting very complicated dealing with all the clock states and what level for what app to run at .
Now they are going to move to pooled memory so everything is shared memory wise . 
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on August 04, 2013, 06:46:24 PM
I am going to guess MS just leaves it to the video driver to handle all GPU calls . I think it would be up to driver conditions to handle that .
It is already getting very complicated dealing with all the clock states and what level for what app to run at .
Now they are going to move to polled memory so everything is shared memory wise .
Ya, even a graphic card driver update will improve the GPU performance, I wonder how the driver handle the priority of GPU software.

edkiefer

Don't want to get OT here but any full screen game is covered by being full screen (it is priority AFA winds goes ) . The thing is background GPU useage or within a app like browser or Photoshop , I am not coder but think the app set this but not sure .
This latter type I don't think user can control priority , and windows my guess would be a global one .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

As it is OT, just open a new topic for it. :)
For here, I found out that, if I am running WebGL apps on the background while the games is full screen, you will found stutter on your game.
So there should be something that can be fixed, but not closing the background software to prevent stutter...

edkiefer

Ok, your talking about playing a game within the browser (online game) ?

I am not to familiar with how that gets coded app wise .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

No, what's I means is, if you has 2 game/app that using GPU are running, they will be the same priority, even the foreground one has been full screen.
And I think GPU priority will be used when GPU are using for compute. :)

edkiefer

Ok , If windows as full control of this, all I have seen is mentioning global GPU priority, meaning there only one setting , its not set per app or type .
But I am not sure who has control on things like compute OpenCL or CUDA .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
QuoteGPU Priority   REG_DWORD   The GPU priority. The range of values is 0-31. This priority is not yet used.
They did try to control GPU priority per app, just they don't used for it. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on August 06, 2013, 05:21:31 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684247%28v=vs.85%29.aspxThey did try to control GPU priority per app, just they don't used for it. :)
Yes , that is what I was talking about but forgot they had it in group types .
But I am not sure how that would work as video drivers takls to hardware at very low level .
What I mean here is the driver control or trys to how much work the card does for it clock rate .
I think this is the cause of some issues on older cards , that can't put out so they get TDR's or at least part of problem .

Anyway right now only the Scheduling category is really used along with Priority value .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yes, I still remember why IE11 need to support WebGL carefully, as it might be crashing your computer. :)
And it is very hard to support it without breaking the old apps.

lourencohen

This is very common thing. In windows if you are playing, it slows down the whole PC. It is really hectic problem for most of the users. I am planning to get a different game console because of this reason. I am completely tired by this issue.
[url=http://www.qspray.com/product-category/pest-control-equipment/bg-sprayers/]Birchmeier[/url]

BenYeeHua

Quote from: lourencohen on October 28, 2014, 06:26:43 AM
This is very common thing. In windows if you are playing, it slows down the whole PC. It is really hectic problem for most of the users. I am planning to get a different game console because of this reason. I am completely tired by this issue.
As I know(if my memory don't fall me), you will facing RAM issues for new consoles, which causing a bit latency for switching between apps and games. :)