Project Lasso is recognizing my i7 920 Intel processor as having only 1 core

Started by Steven G, January 18, 2015, 08:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven G

Can't select other than Core 0 in Process Affinity.  I have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores.  Hyperthreading is on.

BenYeeHua

Check your Task Manager? It sound like your OS(msconfig) or BIOS is the cause... :)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that information really can't be wrong. It comes from the OS (Windows), which gets it from the UEFI/BIOS.

I suppose some bizarre bug could exist, but I've never heard of anything like this.

Can you give us a screenshot so we better understand? One of Process Lasso and one of the Task Manager (taskmgr.exe).

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Steven G

I seem to vaguely remember seeing 8 cores in Task Manager a long time ago.  I attached a screen pic of Task Manager Performance tab and it only showed one big long core tracing box.  Couldn't figure out how to get it into this post. 2015-01-18_222303.png.

Steven G

I ran msconfig and checked everything.  I also checked the BIOS.  Maybe I should see if the Dell community knows anything about cores not set up.  I'm sure it's something I changed.  I rebooted but maybe I'll do a cold reboot.

Thanks for replying!  I'll be checking here.

Steven

Steven G

I turned off Hyper-Threading in the BIOS and now I have 4 cores.  I'm still thinking that there should be the 4 virtual cores in Task Manager but maybe I can figure it out.

Steven

edkiefer

Ok, In your task-manager veiw tave make sure you have for CPU history = one graph per CPU .

This should show each core separately
Bitsum QA Engineer

Steven G

Yes, it was already set to that and not showing 4 virtual cores.  Just the physical cores.  But I don't think it's that important to see virtual cores, unless someone has an idea.  Thank you all for pointing me in the right directions.

Steven

Jeremy Collake

It's not. That setting shows all logical cores. (a logical core can be either virtual or physical).

I have no idea what is going on here, but it sounds odd.

It's definitely not related to Process Lasso in any way.

It's something with the hardware or low-level OS. Turning OFF hyper-threading in the UEFI/BIOS should have reduced the # of logical cores by 1/2, not multiplied them by 4 (1 to 4).

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

May sound stupid, try take our your BIOS CMOS battery(with the plug unplugged/computer power off), then after 1 min, put it back, this should reset all your BIOS settings. :)
If the HT still causing your 3 other real core gone, then it can be your CPU is damaged, and somehow don't like with HT enabled.

Steven G

Went to Performance Monitor in Task Manager, to CPU tab, and with View could show history of all 4 cores.

Jeremy Collake

This whole thread has me a bit perplexed.

Where are you 'at' now? I mean, can you describe the problem in as few words as possible, and if you still think there is any issue with Lasso?

BenYeeHua

I guess it is just a issues with the system/BIOS/motherboard/CPU now. :)

edkiefer

That is my take, I don't see how PL can be a issue .
I would reset bios as Ben mentions or reflash, if that doesn't fix it if it was ok at one point .
Sometimes bios get messed up .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, is this a custom PC build? If so, you gotta consider potential thermal issues too. The heatsink really must be mounted just right and thermal conditions appropriately controlled. It's something retail manufacturers have to design for, and sometimes even then fail.