HARD THROTTLE DYSFUNCTION (EDIT: instead, use CPU affinity to limit # of cores)

Started by coucou8949, December 21, 2014, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coucou8949

hello
i tried to use the hard throttling option to oppress some applications, but it seems that it does not work with everyone.for example i tried to limit cpu usage for my WinRar compressor and it worked good ;D, but when i tried to oppress my video converters it didn't work.
can someone please tell why? :-[
thanks.

bertie97

The short answer may be because it's 'not recommended' - which it says about using hard throttle.
I would use e.g. lower priority class, fewer cores etc rather than throttle if I wanted to reduce somethings drain on resources

Jeremy Collake

If you have a multi-core CPU, use CPU affinities to limit total CPU use allowed. Give it 1 of 2 cores, for instance.

Hard throttling is an unnatural function, which is why I put so many warnings on it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

coucou8949

actually i don't want to maintain the responsiveness of my system and i think that's what priority classes and cores affinity adjustment achieve. but i want to use minimum of cpu even with one running program, simply because my Pc gets off when it gets hot, so till i replace it i need  that Hard throttle option to keep it running for hard consuming applications.thanks for your replies.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: coucou8949 on December 21, 2014, 03:20:27 PM
actually i don't want to maintain the responsiveness of my system and i think that's what priority classes and cores affinity adjustment achieve. but i want to use minimum of cpu even with one running program, simply because my Pc gets off when it gets hot, so till i replace it i need  that Hard throttle option to keep it running for hard consuming applications.thanks for your replies.

That's what we are saying. The 'CPU affinity' is the number of cores a process has access to.

Thus, if you give a process access to only 50% of available CPU cores (change it's CPU affinity), then it can only use 50% of total CPU resources at most.

However, you are limited to the %'s at which you can limit. On a 4 logical core CPU, that'd be 25, 50, 75, and 100.

Better describing this function has long been on my agenda. I think I'll jump on that soon. This needs to be made more clear.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

coucou8949

yes Jeremy, i think using half of my cpu (for i have two cores) is better than letting all of it been consumed. i'll work by that.