HWINFO.IT Reviews Process Lasso

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 30, 2011, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

HWFILES.IT Reviews Process Lasso

http://www.hwfiles.it/articoli/2987/process-lasso-basta-pc-che-funzionano-a-singhiozzo_index.html

QUOTE:
"La reattività del sistema è uno dei parametri tangibili con i quali l'utente si scontra quotidianamente: aumentano le prestazioni offerte dall'hardware, le tecnologie di chipset e CPU sono sempre più evolute, la RAM di sistema disponibile ha raggiunto quantitativi elevati eppure troppo spesso il proprio sistema operativo diventa lento, si ha un funzionamento a saltoni e le cause sono di difficile individuazione. Per i più smanettoni qualche soluzione la si trova agendo su parametri critici del PC, infatti i più moderni sistemi Windows offrono la possibilità di intervenire sull'affinità di un singolo processo con uno specifico core fisico o virtuale. Questa possibilità di intervento è molto utile su sistemi multicore ormai molto diffusi anche su PC domestici.
Un secondo parametro ben più critico sul quale intervenire riguarda la priorità d'esecuzione che per Windows può avere vari step, oscillando da bassa a real-time. Sui vari siti Microsoft sono disponibili svariati documenti che spiegano il significato di questi parametri, e studiando tali elementi si potrebbe provare a intervenire in modo manuale per ottimizzare il funzionamento del proprio sistema, ma questa rimane una procedura potenzialmente pericolosa e capace di rendere instabile il sistema operativo."
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Miroku4444

Any translation for us non-Spanish speaking members?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Miroku4444 on September 30, 2011, 07:33:28 PM
Any translation for us non-Spanish speaking members?

That's Italian ;). And, no, sorry ;o. Just Google Translate, which makes little sense in this case.

Miroku4444

I think this is what is says?

"The reactivity of the system is one of the tangible parameters with which the user I am met daily: increase the services offers from the hardware, the technologies of chipset and CPU I am more developed, the available RAM of system reached quantitative raised and yet too much often the actual operating system becomes slow, it is had an operation to saltoni and the causes are of difficult determination.  For the more some smanettoni solution is found working it on critical parameters of the PC, in fact the modernest systems Windows offer the possibility of to intervene on the affinity of an individual trial with a specific physical choruses or virtual.  This possibility of intervention is very useful on systems multicore now very spread also on domestic PC.  A second parameter quite plus critic on which intervene pertains the priority of execution that for Windows can have varied step, fluctuating from low to real-thyme.  On the situated varieties Microsoft are available varied documents that explain the meaning of these parameters, and studying such elements could be experienced to intervene in manual manner to optimize the operation of the actual system, but this remains a potentially dangerous procedure and capable of to give back unstable the operating system." 

Im confused. lol

Jeremy Collake

Our Italian translator will help us out maybe ... wherever he is ;)

danlock

Let me try to "translate" the English translation into something easier to understand (maybe).  If the translation is incorrect, so will my rewording be, and my rewording might be worthless anyway.  Here goes:

Quote from: Miroku4444 on September 30, 2011, 07:48:10 PM
I think this is what is says?

"The reactivity of the system is one of the tangible parameters with which the user I am met daily: increase the services offers from the hardware, the technologies of chipset and CPU I am more developed, the available RAM of system reached quantitative raised and yet too much often the actual operating system becomes slow, it is had an operation to saltoni and the causes are of difficult determination.

"The responsiveness of my system is something I notice daily:  I'm aware of the specifications of my PC's hardware, its chipset and CPU, the amount of RAM used and the total amount of RAM installed, but too frequently the OS slows down or (crashes?) and the cause is difficult to determine."

QuoteFor the more some smanettoni solution is found working it on critical parameters of the PC, in fact the modernest systems Windows offer the possibility of to intervene on the affinity of an individual trial with a specific physical choruses or virtual.  This possibility of intervention is very useful on systems multicore now very spread also on domestic PC.

Many/most/some (crashes/errors/? ??? ) affect essential/critical parts of the PC.  The newest Windows systems allow users to set process parameters such as CPU affinity and allow processes to be run sandboxed or with specific permissions.  ( ??? ??)  These capabilities are very useful on the newest home systems, which usually contain multi-core CPUs.

QuoteA second parameter quite plus critic on which intervene pertains the priority of execution that for Windows can have varied step, fluctuating from low to real-thyme.  On the situated varieties Microsoft are available varied documents that explain the meaning of these parameters, and studying such elements could be experienced to intervene in manual manner to optimize the operation of the actual system, but this remains a potentially dangerous procedure and capable of to give back unstable the operating system."

Another very positive attribute which can be altered is related to the Windows process priority of a running process. This can vary in steps from low to real-time. On Microsoft's various websites can be found many documents that will explain the meaning of these parameters, and a user might be able to study these many documents and learn how to manually edit the processes' priorities and attributes in order to optimize the system's operation, but this is a potentially-dangerous procedure and might result in an unstable operating system.

Im confused. lol

Me too.  :)  It seems like it's leading up to the presentation of Process Lasso as a way to automatically--and safely--optimize your system without having to painstakingly procure and peruse Microsoft's many technical documents in order to gain increases in performance, optimal RAM usage, etc.  However, unless there was something missing from either the translation you provided or my *ahem* attempt at clarification, it seems like we had only the introduction to a longer review.

*shrug*  ??? ::)

(Oops.... I forgot to check the URL given in the first post.  I think I'll just wait for someone who understands Italian to comment!)

Miroku4444

Yours made way more sense then mine.  :)

fairyanna

For the GUI, when you want to see much more information about your processes and CPU.
For the governor, when your CPU is weak, and you want the governor restraint the background processes ASAP when it is biting the CPU. :)

The GUI has much higher performance hit than the governor, if you want to set them to a faster refresh rate.
Download and Play [url=http://www.solitaire-champ.com/play-solitaire.html]Visit website[/url] free on Mobile

Jeremy Collake

That's true.

Honestly, the governor is so efficient that it can handle really fast refresh rates. I'm considering lowering the default to 500ms on properly equipped PCs.

p.s. Are you a bot? The bots are getting hard to distinguish.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 29, 2014, 01:19:52 AM
That's true.

Honestly, the governor is so efficient that it can handle really fast refresh rates. I'm considering lowering the default to 500ms on properly equipped PCs.

p.s. Are you a bot? The bots are getting hard to distinguish.
Yes, it is a bot, it like to copy my reply.
So I guess you don't remember most of my reply then, and it is time to change the register questions. ::)

PS:Just remember, bot will always got some similar profile that you can see, because they don't know they should random to a empty value. ;)

bertie97

First off  - this review is from 2011  !!  PL has moved along since this review.
2nd - the quoted para. is only basically -
Modern high-powered PCs still have problems running efficiently, MS have docs on it, but trying to set things up yourself can cause problems.
the punch line is something like -
PL can make a difficult process easy & allows the user ways of intervening in process management, APM etc...
This is reductive precis of course & I don't know a helluva lot of IT.  :P
For the Italian audience it provides an overview I think, something to help understand the possibilities of using PL but it isn't what I think of as a blow-by-blow critical analysis.  (Not that I have seen that for PL, maybe it's out there somewhere, but generally I guess PL is just too smart for most reviewers!)

@BYH
yeah bots have really evolved lately, the idea of registering, making various pseudo-posts, then beginning the flood of spam is quite clever.
Have seen a number of posts on forums that then result in a long discussion from real members - all started with a script  ::)

BenYeeHua

Quote@BYH
yeah bots have really evolved lately, the idea of registering, making various pseudo-posts, then beginning the flood of spam is quite clever.
Have seen a number of posts on forums that then result in a long discussion from real members - all started with a script  ::)
But the script is written by a human, how can you confirm it is not what's the human want to reply via the script bot. ::)

bertie97

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 29, 2014, 09:13:31 AM
But the script is written by a human, how can you confirm it is not what's the human want to reply via the script bot. ::)

It could also be several bots talking via scripts  ;D

Jeremy Collake

The real surprise  is that *I* am a bot :O

Only my wife knows, until now.

BenYeeHua

Nah, everyone is a bot, as we can "program" our brain by adding a function for how to talk. ;D

bertie97

...........So Process Lasso is the product of a Positronic brain!   :D