[UNRELATED] Problems When PC Wakes From Sleep

Started by helenhgreen, January 07, 2015, 01:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenhgreen

On a couple of builds before Process Lasso would blue screen my PC when it awoke from sleep, that bug has been fixed however now a new bug has arisen, when my PC awakes from sleep it shuts my antivirus down? Process: avgnt.exe, I'm using the latest Process Lasso and Avira Pro antivirus, when I shut down Process Lasso it doesn't happen? I don't know if it's Process Lasso or my antivirus that's to blame. Reporting it here and to Avira and thank you for such a wonderful app, it keeps my netbook (windows 7) running tip top bar the bug.

edkiefer

If PL had anything to do with it, you should see a log entree on that process .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Unless you have a specific rule set to disallow/terminate that process, Lasso would not shut down your security software. It would never do something like that.

I recommend you reset all config to defaults (bottom of Options menu), just in case you do have some problematic rule in place. If you have a bunch of rules you want to keep, first export the INI config file (see File menu), so you can restore them later after determining they are or are not the cause.

A Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) can only be caused by kernel mode code - device drivers. Process Lasso has none.

That means it Process Lasso can NEVER directly cause a BSOD. Something else was doing that.

I *will*, however, set up an Avira test bed just to be sure they haven't added some crazy tamper-protection technology that is malfunctioning. It'd be their bug in such a case, and pretty unlikely - but will do my due diligence.

Thanks for your support!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteUnless you have a specific rule set to disallow/terminate that process, Lasso would not shut down your security software. It would never do something like that.
Yup, a good anti-virus has self-defend system that disallow any processes to kill them, so it might be crashed when PL access it?

For BSoD, it can be your anti-virus too, but you need to check the mini/kernel dump to know about it. :)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, and in addendum to my advice above (please read), this sounds a lot like a very unclean Windows installation. I would recommend you do a fresh Windows install, and try using the built-in Windows Defender instead of Avira (your choice on that). The fresh Windows install will probably solve so many issues for you. Who knows what you've inadvertently picked up in deceitful installer bundles and such.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.