Best way to set up for running a Java application

Started by Janesp, January 06, 2015, 11:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janesp

I am a new user to Project Lasso Free version 7.6.4.1
I am on a Windows 8.1 Pro computer with an I7 Sandy Bridge processor. and 8 gigs of ram.  I do a lot of work with a fractal application called JWildfire that runs in a Java virtual machine.  When it is rendering my images I am unable to do much else with my computer because no matter what I do or how I set the program, Jwildfire uses nearly all of my processor, up to 99.5% according to task manager.  A friend on the JWildfire Open Group on Facebook has suggested that Project Lasso would be a great solution many of us and indeed he is seeing great results from using the application. 

However, on my system, which is pretty much the same as his, it is really not helping.  My computer is stalling and generally not usable when I am rendering and the renders are not any faster.  He is getting up to 4 times the speed, so I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.  I do know that when he installed the program he only installed the default configuration and I checked all the boxes on my install.  Should I remove the app and reinstall it to the default settings, not including the extra modules? He also said to right click on Java in the process menu and set it to high performance.  I have also done this but I am still not getting good results.  At first I did and I was really thrilled about it but when I shut donw my computer for the night and booted the next day Process Lasso sis not work any more.  Can anyone offer advice?

edkiefer

Hi

Not sure what you changed, but lets get you back to default setting first and work our way up .
Go to menu >options "reset all config options " , then go to menu.options probalance settings >advanced options and hit restore defaults .

Now you should be a default setting , now try this with right click on the Java process doing the rendering and set power plan to bitsum HP , don't change priority or anything else yet .
See how that works, what you should see is logs of that process being restrained when its in back ground running , should also see it listed in Insights log .

run it like this for few days and see .

If this doesn't work we can limit the number of cores it uses in CPU infinity , in other words if you have quad core we can have it that it only uses 3 cores . Of course this option will slow it down but will make sure you have 1 free core for your work .

Also you should list your system specs , CPU, memory etc .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

You may need to adjust ProBalance settings. It may be excluding the critical processes. It has a lot of safeties built-in to act as conservatively as possible.

See the Options / ProBalance Settings / toggles ...

Try unchecking "Exclude foreground process" for one.

When this is checked, you must click away from an application before ProBalance will act on it.

Try unchecking "Exclude processes of non-normal priority" for two (since you had changed Java's priority, it would not be acted on).

Once we figure out exactly why ProBalance isn't taking action (or what the situation is), I am sure we can help your PC's responsiveness during these high loads.

Do NOT make any additional configuration changes, for now. They may hurt more than help. I would need to evaluate them. Your friend sounds like he knows his stuff, so they are probably safe, but let's not confuse matters for now.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

AMENDMENT (merged into above): Try unchecking "Exclude processes of non-normal priority" for two (since you had changed Java's priority, it would not be acted on).

Also, you can not expect to get a boost of 4x except in some extraordinary circumstances, so do not expect that sort of boost. Lasso is made to keep your PC responsive during high loads, not boost performance -- though boosting of performance with Lasso is possible in some situations if the user knows what they are doing. In most cases, it's best not to try though. Just let ProBalance do it's thing, and that's the best you'll get.

In your friend's case, boosting the priority class of the Java runtime may have given it precedence over some other process active on the PC, thus letting it run faster.

DeadHead

Quote from: Janesp on January 06, 2015, 11:27:39 PMHe also said to right click on Java in the process menu and set it to high performance.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this - do you add java to switch the computer to high performance power plan, or do you mean high priority?

If anything, you probably should try to lower priority (and/or affinity) of java, but that's just my guess on this matter.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

I believe he meant he boosted the JRE process to a High Priority class. This is why ProBalance would then ignore it (by default), and PC responsiveness degradation could occur. Hence my suggestions. But ...

I fear that would not attain the results he actually desires. He seems to desire a performance boost, which I do not believe he will attain unless there is contention for the CPU, and boosting the JRE caused it to take precedence.

Recommend user go to default options all around since this particular tweak, which worked well for their friend, did not work as well for them.

Janesp

Thanks for all the great replies.  I will start simple and just set the power setting and run that for a few days to see how it goes.  Thanks again.