Process not showing

Started by driver, February 04, 2010, 09:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

Hi Everyone...

For about a month or so I have been getting a random spike in CPU usage. It jumps to about 70% or so for about1.5 sec then returns to normal, However what ever process that seems to be causing this doesn't show in the process list but it sure shows up on the graph. Because this phantom process is also affecting other programs that might be running, its driving me crazy and Id like to remedy this.

If anyone has an idea as to how I might be able to get this process listed so I might find out what it is I would be very very grateful.

Running: XP sp2
             PL    v3.80.4 32-bit

Thanks again.

Jeremy Collake

During the install process, be sure to select 'Highest rights' in the second InstallHelper dialog. This will ensure Process Lasso manages the processes of all users, instead of just you.

Now, if the process still isn't listed, then its possible that its a protected process of some sort. It could be a process associated with your anti-virus software, for instance? If so, there's not much that can be done. Process Lasso's ProBalance really can't help improve the impact of anti-virus software on your PC's responsiveness. This is because with on-demand (real time) file scanning, files must be scanned BEFORE they are opened. Therefore, any process that opens a file must wait for your anti-virus software to scan it. So, lowering the priority of the anti-virus software certainly wouldn't help matters, and could make matters worse. The best thing you could do in such a scenario is disable the real-time/on-demand scanning of your anti-virus software.

If neither of these apply, then please elaborate and we'll figure it out.

Thanks
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

driver

That's Great...Thanks very much for your help !!  ;D

I have the feeling it might be Norton AV. I think the phantom process is COH32.exe.

Do you know if there is some way to confirm this, perhaps some sort of software that might list these hidden processes?

Have a great day.

Jeremy Collake

Process Explorer or Process Hacker may show you the hidden process(es). I can't guarantee that, but they might. This could allow you to confirm it.

However, on the other hand, it may be the case that the process is also hidden from them. If this is the case, then it could even be malware (i.e. a rootkit) instead of your anti-virus software. Once rootkit style malware gets on your system, its very difficult to remove since it completely hides itself from all software running on your computer. I can't say this is the case though, and it may simply be Norton, and Norton protecting its own process.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.