Main Menu

PL Defeated

Started by bertie97, February 13, 2015, 04:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertie97

I used 7-zip to zip 800mb of files (30 files, ultra compression, single file output) & brought the PC to a virtual standstill
I normally use 7z not zip & PL copes just fine with that so having the desktop & mouse freeze up on me was a shock. 
Thanks to PL this kind of thing is soooo rare nowadays that I thought something had broken! 
Same files into 7z & it was fine.
I may be the only one on the planet using 7zips zip format but it might be worth investigating  :P

BenYeeHua

So it is not a foreground process, right? :P
If it is not, then it sound like I/O bound, or PL not respond fast enough, you may try lower the refresh interval(governor) to check for it. :)

bertie97

Thanks for stopping by BYH, 山羊快乐çš,,一年

It's very file-size dependent <100mb doesn't seem any different for format performance.
It did drop from being foreground when I clicked away & everything ground to a halt. ;)
The question is how to optimize for one type of zipping in the same program, the native 7z format doesn't cripple the PC, but zip might. 
7Zip internal optimization must be a problem, kind of a tricky issue for PL to identify perhaps :)

I shan't be doing it very often, but figured it was interesting.

edkiefer

My guess was your I/o bound but seems odd the format matters . It cound be one format is better multi-core enabled than another .
Are all zip app have same issues (winzip, winrar etc ).
Try setting it manually to lower priority with priority class and I/o .

Also did you see PL try and lower/change anything in log when it was back ground process ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote山羊快乐çš,,一年
What?
One happy year of the goat? ::)
山羊(goat)快乐(happy)çš,,('s)一年(one year)

Just kidding, anyways, Happy Goat Year, if I am right. ;D
----
Back to Topic, it can be many reason that it happen, I think except you are using some performance monitor tools to monitor it, then it should be hard to know which is bound.

But ya, I always use the Sent to - Compressed (Zipped) folder, as I just want to package the JPG, which is not much to compressed.(like 3-6 MB for 300 MB only)
So far it only hang the computer when it is writing the compressed file, which is normal for HDD. :)

bertie97

Quote from: BenYeeHua on February 14, 2015, 09:06:42 AM
What?
One happy year of the goat? ::)
山羊(goat)快乐(happy)çš,,('s)一年(one year)

Just kidding, anyways, Happy Goat Year, if I am right. ;D

+-
----
Back to Topic, it can be many reason that it happen, I think except you are using some performance monitor tools to monitor it, then it should be hard to know which is bound.

But ya, I always use the Sent to - Compressed (Zipped) folder, as I just want to package the JPG, which is not much to compressed.(like 3-6 MB for 300 MB only)
So far it only hang the computer when it is writing the compressed file, which is normal for HDD. :)
Yes my Hanji is bad :(  & googlese doesn't help :P
But friends in CN are all getting ready for celebration. :D 

The 7z vs zip -

• same files 30 totaling 800mb
  • same source & target hdd (plenty of free space)
  • ultra/maximum compression profiles
  • all cores used
Also tried it with rar & no problems either, just with zip. I will have to try a diffferent zipper also, maybe winzip or something would be different.