Power settings altered on install of new beta v7.x

Started by bertie97, February 03, 2015, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertie97

I have been updating with the betas regularly & I have found on this build 7.9.3.1 B that the idlesaver/power-plan settings get altered.  My default is HiPerf & if I'm AFK - PSaver.
This beta switched it to Balanced + Power Saver.
Last build was OK - it kept HP, but the build before that did the same switch of HP to Bal.  Not sure about builds prior to that as I was wondering how come things had slowed down for a while before I clicked it was the power profile  ::)

Funny how knocking out half my cores slows things down  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Sorry about that. The defaults of IdleSaver have been changed. It should not have affected users with existing configurations though, so I'm a bit puzzled. I'll review the code and see if there's a problem, it sounds like there may be.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

bertie97

Well heres a puzzle - my PM went back to Balanced today, even tho I had reset it to HP...
I checked the log file but it only shows the switch to 'balanced' on 08 Feb after a cold boot.

Should I be able to access the log further back than 24 hrs?  Wondering if I can detect when the change happened.
I don't have 'clear log' checked.
'Prune' is checked.

edkiefer

Quote from: bertie97 on February 08, 2015, 04:56:08 AM
Well heres a puzzle - my PM went back to Balanced today, even tho I had reset it to HP...
I checked the log file but it only shows the switch to 'balanced' on 08 Feb after a cold boot.

Should I be able to access the log further back than 24 hrs?
  Wondering if I can detect when the change happened.
I don't have 'clear log' checked.
'Prune' is checked.
Open log viewer ,go to file menu ,load log file , pick file by date and load
Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

Thanks Ed.
That will teach me to look at the log viewer menus more often!  :)

Curiously, since adjusting PM back to PS/HP (above) PL stayed on PS/HP until 10:50 7 Feb when it switched back to PS/balanced.
I looked through my processes running at the time & they are no different to those run the days before (or today).
Even weirder it went back to PS/HP before power off for a while & then back to PS/Bal after boot today.

Also today, I noticed an app I had set to always 'above normal' in priority class launched with currently 'idle' & thus using only 1/2 my cores when I'd wanted to thrash all of them.  It still shows the always setting as active.

???  ???  ???

OT
One thing I'd like in the Log Viewer is that when using the filter & selecting a line, clearing the filter would leave the hi-lited selection in view, instead of me then scrolling around back to the event time which I must remember.

edkiefer

I don't use power saver profiles, but only bug that was in PL was if you had a game app set with power profile and you had game mode enabled for that game , it would get confussed .
Work around was remove all games from having power profile if setup for game mode (which is best option IMO ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

I only tried per app power profiles once. 
Generally I just leave it on HP/PS for system wide PM, & game mode for games so I am confused as to why this has happened  :-\

bertie97

After a cold boot yesterday I felt the PC was a bit slow.... checked PL & I was back to Balanced !!??
No idea how & quite annoying. 
I don't have enough to worry about so this is the end of the world as far as I'm concerned!  :o ;D

Jeremy Collake

Hmm... This would require some investigation, but I don't think any recent change caused it. There are some safeties that may cause it to go back to Balanced, since it's the preferred power plan for *most* people.

What features and rules are you using?

bertie97

I am not really going overboard with config.
I set the PC for Hi Perf with fall back to PS after 10secs AFK.
Other than that I have some stuff in the gaming mode list, & VLC as a multimedia process.

Normally I will set something like priority via right-click 'current' if I want to alter it.  Don't tend to have the per-app profiles configured as I like to do them on a situation basis & esp as I'm using betas.  I tend to push things around depending on how long the PC would be free from my input, so I might increase the priority of an encoder up to prevent slow down due to a PS state.  So I am more about extremes than balanced ;)

I never use 'balanced' so that's why it catches my eye.  Something has tripped the balanced profile but AFAIK it isn't me  ::)

Jeremy Collake

Ah, thanks. Let me see what I can figure out. Probably you did hit a safety mechanism.