Boot very very slow (EDIT: Lasso has no impact, and makes no permanent changes)

Started by willianlopes, May 22, 2015, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willianlopes

Hi everybody!

I've installed Process Lasso yesterday and registered it. After installation (without reboot) everything runs fine... My problem begins when I booted my notebook: my notebook takes about 3 minutes for a complete boot without Process Lassso; with Process Lass it's taking about 7 minutes. Nothing was changed after install Process Lass. So, I have uninstalled it and the boot is still very slow (but about 5 minutes now).

How do I correct it and may use Process Lasso? I'm using a Asus i7 with 8 GB with Windows 8.1.

Thanks for help!

Willian

edkiefer

Hi
If you uninstall PL then its not starting anymore at startup to hinder startup time .

Few questions , After you boot , (don't open anything) , bring up task manager and note how many processes are running , (wait at least 1 min after desktop shows) .
Next in task manager, go to startup tab , see how many processes are there and how many marked "high" under startup impact  , these are ones hindering the most .

If you see anything that you don't need running at startup ,would be good to remove by first looking at app connected and seeing if option to not run at startup is there .
This is best way to do it .

On PL startup , you can set it to startup at logon or you can set it so you manually run it ,there many options there just run under menu option , general sttings >reconfigure the way PL startup
Bitsum QA Engineer

willianlopes

Hi, thanks for answer.

I've already done this. I didn't found anything different, it's exact like before install PL.

edkiefer

Have you looked at event viewer for bootup errors ?
Under windows  Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Performance.

Even 3 min sounds long to me for newish system

You could also run Hijackthis and see if log has anything funny in it .
there are sites that will look it over for you . (I am not a expert on Hijackthis ).

That is all I can think right now .
Bitsum QA Engineer

willianlopes

Thanks for tip. I'll look when in home (now I'm in my job).

I guess 3 min a good value 'cause I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware Pro together (I put them into exclusion list of each other)

Tomorrow I'll give a reply

Thanks again.

Willian

(Sorry my poor english, isn't my native language)

BenYeeHua

QuoteI guess 3 min a good value 'cause I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware Pro together (I put them into exclusion list of each other)
QuoteI'm using a Asus i7 with 8 GB with Windows 8.1.
Did you enabled Fast Startup?
It is at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings, and this is the detail about how to enable it. ;)
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

You may check the startup impact by using the Windows Task Manager, just open it and you should see it on the "Startup" tab. :)

And yup, bonus, this is the information about how it collect and the meaning.
    High impact â€" Apps that use more than 1 second of CPU time or more than 3 MB of disk I/O at startup
    Medium impact â€" Apps that use 300 ms - 1000 ms of CPU time or 300 KB - 3 MB of disk I/O
    Low impact â€" Apps that use less than 300 ms of CPU time and less than 300 KB of disk I/O
http://winaero.com/blog/how-the-windows-8-task-manager-calculates-startup-impact-of-apps/
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848065%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

And you can just see the detail by showing this.
http://superuser.com/questions/495451/what-is-the-startup-impact-column-in-task-manager

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso definitely will not impact boot speed and makes no permanent system changes. I'm not sure what happened here, but let me ask - did you download directly from bitsum.com? There are many rogue download sites that bundle all downloads up with crapware, which could be responsible.

BTW, using two security suites is a recipe for troubles of all kinds. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that is the cause of weird performance issues, and even if they play well together *today*, you never know when they may update their signatures or scanning engine and some new problem erupt.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.