Explorer still crashing from time to time

Started by JimPL, May 28, 2015, 06:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimPL

I had the free version of PL, and bought the Pro lifetime version, hoping it could solve my problem with windows explorer. Mostly explorer crashes after I close some window, and not necessarily while doing heavy work with my PC. I have W7 Ultimate x64 with i7 2.5 Ghz with 8GB Ram. Shouldn't that be enough to prevent explorer from crashing without gaming ?

Shouldn't this crash be mentioned in the actions log ? When I look in the actions log it's not mentioned.

edkiefer

Quote from: JimPL on May 28, 2015, 06:07:31 PM
I had the free version of PL, and bought the Pro lifetime version, hoping it could solve my problem with windows explorer. Mostly explorer crashes after I close some window, and not necessarily while doing heavy work with my PC. I have W7 Ultimate x64 with i7 2.5 Ghz with 8GB Ram. Shouldn't that be enough to prevent explorer from crashing without gaming ?

Shouldn't this crash be mentioned in the actions log ? When I look in the actions log it's not mentioned.
Hi , PL won't log windows error's that would be part of OS . You would need to look in event viewer .
First thing I would try is limit some 3rd party app that might interfere with explorer , like disable AV ,see if you have a lot of context menu handles (when you right click on something many programs add menu line ) .
things like that ,try and narrow down if you can with bare OS, and then try an find what triggers it .
Explorer crashes can be very hard to track down  .
8gig of memory should be fine for most users .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Ed is correct, the Event Viewer may shed some light on the crash.

Probably it's some third-party shell extension (DLL) that you have installed, that is the most common cause of explorer crashes.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Check Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Reliability Monitor
Normally the Explorer will point to which dll(by seeing the Fault Module Name) are causing the crash, so you will not need to disable each extension to check which one is causing it, by using Autoruns. ;)

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10778-windows-reliability-monitor-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html