Process lasso gui stops responding after a while [VIEW / DISABLE PROCESS ICONS]

Started by jeroen3, May 29, 2015, 05:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeroen3

Somehow the processlasso gui stops responding when opened for a while (~5 min).
I do not know much of debugging Windows apps. But this is what I got from process explorer stack view of the looping thread processgovernor+0xde30 in wait:DelayExectution.

ntoskrnl.exe!memset+0x61a
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xd52
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f
ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0xba4
ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1821
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xf5d
ntoskrnl.exe!KeDelayExecutionThread+0x186
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x16e
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x3a23
ntdll.dll!NtDelayExecution+0xa
KERNELBASE.dll!SleepEx+0xb3
ProcessGovernor.exe+0x7802
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

This only happens on my Desktop machine.

The governor seems to work fine.
Win7x64, with MSE.

edkiefer

Hi

Which version is this ?

Do you have "show processes icon in list" on, if so turn off an retry (setting is under view menu ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

jeroen3

I've reset the settings, and reïnstalled multiple times. But somehow not all settings aren't getting reset.
For example, probalance insights are not reset.

Is there a manual deïnstallation procedure to follow?

Version: 8.0.6.4 x64
Engine: 1450200
Icons are turned off now.

Disabling icons seem to avoid the issue.

edkiefer

Right , it's rare but some users have issue with process icons ,might be a DLL thing .

To uninstall so you start over fresh , after uninstall go to user PL folder "C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso " and delete anything you want in there (settings are in config fodler ,  ProLasso.ini file ).
Then install and your starting fresh ,settings wise .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Those icons may cause more trouble than they are worth. We hear of problems from users with bad shell extensions installed, but at what rate is the issue actually seen overall? Unknown. I've tried just about everything to avoid the problem, but can't get around it. Maybe we'll disable them by default going forward, with a more apparent toggle to turn them on.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 03, 2015, 07:02:34 AM
Those icons may cause more trouble than they are worth. We hear of problems from users with bad shell extensions installed, but at what rate is the issue actually seen overall? Unknown. I've tried just about everything to avoid the problem, but can't get around it. Maybe we'll disable them by default going forward, with a more apparent toggle to turn them on.
So I guess you can't doing something like adding a blacklist and blocking them to inject into PL? :P

Jeremy Collake

No, I really can't stop the DLLs from injecting themselves without a lot of effort that may cause complications of it's own.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 03, 2015, 11:47:38 AM
No, I really can't stop the DLLs from injecting themselves without a lot of effort that may cause complications of it's own.
So I guess I found the reason that why most browsers are very easy to crash now. :P

Anyways, maybe just detect them, then disallow this function to be enabled if shell extensions are installed?  ???

Jeremy Collake

Yea, I can do that, but then need to build and maintain a list of the problematic DLLs.

BenYeeHua

This will be hard...
There are a lot of them.....

I guess most File Sync software (like Google Drive, Dropbox) are having the shell extensions, and there are a lot of File Sync software... :P

Jeremy Collake

Well, there are others. I test against all the major cloud service provider software; Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, and more... Also test against a lot of other common shell extensions. I really don't see this problem, have never seen it in *any* test bed, leading me to believe it is still very rare, it just happens to be the one thing that causes complication for this small minority of users. It is still an area of research for sure. I've changed the implementation multiple times trying to mitigate it, but that doesn't seem to matter.

BenYeeHua

Ya, always hate to fix something that it don't happen on the test bed, or on yourself. :P