Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso on Windows 10
Enterprise Technical insider Preview
Build 10074
Process Lasso version 8.1.0.9 beta

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

It feel taller now, as the border is getting 1px only, so only your own border design are shown. ::)

Jeremy Collake

There was only one compatibility issue with the auto-start that needed fix. Microsoft has changed the behavior of the Task Scheduler in a particular way. I've corrected for it, and made sure it gets corrected for on upgrade. So, we'll have published updates to our users well before Windows 10 itself starts being pushed out.

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso 8.2 will be issued later today, mostly for Windows 10 compatibility, getting as far ahead of the curve as possible.

From what I've seen of Windows 10, I really like it, and think Microsoft will have a winner on their hands, especially giving it away.

It's more desktop oriented than Windows 8 or 8.1, so Process Lasso does great with it.

edkiefer

Lets hope upgrade path is smooth for 8.1/7 users  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 16, 2015, 04:34:44 PM
Lets hope upgrade path is smooth for 8.1/7 users  ;D
I guess nope, because most Windows 7 user will having a graphic card driver that are not WDDM 2.0, and this will be a huge problem for Laptop Optimus and Enduro user, as Intel will not supporting CPU before Haswell.

Jeremy Collake

I have only run it in a virtual machine so far, so don't know, but I wouldn't imagine they would be aggressively pushing it out (for free even) if they didn't have their bases covered as far as driver compatibility.

edkiefer

I am sure MS has some kind of compatibility fallback drivers .

They also at worse case do search of HW installed on system and if it doesn't meet lowest point, giver user a message "your HW x , needs to be upgraded to support and install W10 fully .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 16, 2015, 05:39:06 PM
I have only run it in a virtual machine so far, so don't know, but I wouldn't imagine they would be aggressively pushing it out (for free even) if they didn't have their bases covered as far as driver compatibility.
Not sure about this, because they has released a patch to allow user to upgrade it if their driver are at least support Vista(means it is at least WDDM), but they don't show any warning that it might not working well.

Quote from: edkiefer on June 16, 2015, 06:17:12 PM
I am sure MS has some kind of compatibility fallback drivers .

They also at worse case do search of HW installed on system and if it doesn't meet lowest point, giver user a message "your HW x , needs to be upgraded to support and install W10 fully .
Hmm...

Based on my searching, they will using WARP for DirectX 12 feature that don't supported by hardware with feature_level 11_0.
It is still a question for optimus that are having Intel WDDM 1.1(Win 7 driver) while having WDDM 2.0 for their AMD/Nvidia.

PS:Fun fact, Mozilla are using WARP as their rendering device now, if the graphic card not supporting well, and so they will just using CPU as their multi-core "hardware" acceleration. ::)
----
Just searching more, this might be a clue, because it will be Render graphic, so it should not affect if Intel is WDDM 1.1, as it is just copying the frame?

But it is also interesting that my Asus laptop somehow are supporting the Nvidia as the main graphic, means it can be a main graphic by disabling Intel in BIOS, and it is still count as a graphic(or I should said Output+Rendering device), not like newer Acer laptop that showing as a render only device. ;)
(Of cause I don't try it because it need some hack on the BIOS...)

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3630/~/february-2015-geforce-64-bit-driver-for-windows-10

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on June 16, 2015, 06:55:03 PM
Not sure about this, because they has released a patch to allow user to upgrade it if their driver are at least support Vista(means it is at least WDDM), but they don't show any warning that it might not working well.

Yea, they are only showing updates to NT6 users, as the kernel is still NT6, technically -- even if they renamed it to NT10. It's more like NT 6.4. For old XP and below users (NT5), they probably don't show the offer, though should be aggressively telling them they need to abandon XP ASAP since no security updates are being provided for it.

I am really not up to date on the graphics drivers and changes in Windows 10, so you may be more aware of potential complications than I am. Definitely the landscape is complex because so many of us now have multiple GPUs and/or video output devices.

edkiefer

XP users are out of luck AFAIK , MS dropped support for that OS a while ago .

Oh, any reason you used 10074 , instead of say 10135 ?

Does the later builds auto update themselves ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I used it because it was the latest officially available to me at MSDN.

Perhaps newer builds have been 'leaked' (they always are, suspiciously, as if Microsoft is OK with that to get the extra testing), but I can't legally use them.

edkiefer

Ok, I didn't look into where they came from , I just see them being thrown around  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The best thing about Windows 10 is that it starts up to the desktop and the old Windows 8 crap is integrated there, as opposed to having to go find the desktop.

It does much more closely couple Internet Explorer, but I assume Chrome and other browsers will be able to integrate fine.

It's definitely an improvement for everyone who likes Windows as it was before Windows 8.

edkiefer

Yes, I was reading MS press release of window 10 in PDF .

pretty good overview .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, just the software compatibility issues, and also graphic card issues.
(most of the windows upgrade required newer WDDM driver for better performance of IE, or I should said Spartan and other browser. ;))

It may not break any software that working on Windows 8, except games that are having Anti-cheat driver. :P

edkiefer

I was planning on updating to win10 but not right away .
I want them to iron out any issues with larger user base .

Shouldn't have any issues with this HW ,Z77- i5-3570k/8gig memory and GTX 970 .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It's funny to now see Process Lasso positioned so excellently to take advantage of Windows 10.

Good thing I didn't listen to all those people who said the PC was dead, eh? ;)

BenYeeHua

PC never dead, it is just most of the PC users don't want to upgrade the hardware so often like smartphone, because it is enough for them. ;)