Need advice Process Lasso Gaming Mode and CPU temperature

Started by timillo, July 02, 2015, 09:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timillo

HI,
I have 2 questions:
1)
I have an issue. Since I installed the Project Lasso, the cpu temps are higher than before (checked with HWINfo). In Bf4 cpu temps were 72ºC (No turbo) and now with Project lasso=On temps are 75-78ºC (No turbo) in the same maps. On idle, the cpu got 42-48ºC and now with Project Lasso=ON the cpu gets 55-60ºC .

Also, the WORST issue is that i usually got about 3.5 hours on battery and now with the same settings/programs/windows power plan i get only 2 hours (or less than 2 hours) and the laptop feels warmer even with lower room temps (18ºC). I have tried to shutdown process lasso but i got the same temps that i told you.
But I don't want to uninstall it and restore default settings because the gaming performance (on Win7/64) has increased a lot and it feels smoother than before.
Any help?

2)
With Project Lasso=ON, I run CPU Unpark.rar utility ->Checks Status-> CPU are PARK but on lasso it says is unparked

Is this normal?
Thank you

My system:
-Mountain F11 (Clevo W110er)
-CPU: i7-3630QM (2.4ghz)
-8GB Ram
-Geforce 650M
-Windows 7 Pro 64bits

bertie97

I would guess that the increase in performance is the result of using PL game mode which pushes the HW to run at optimum.
The result is therefore higher temps (more work being done) & reduction in battery life (more power used).

When I'm using games or encoders my CPU ramps up & with Bitsum Highest Performance I definitely use more cycles/push more heat. 
Unfortunately silicon + electricity = heat.  That is one reason why the 4 gig barrier for CPU clock speed has taken so long to break.
You can throttle stuff back by turning off performance modes, limiting cores etc but you then obviously lose the performance you had gained.

edkiefer

As bertie97 mentioned, what PL is doing is changing the power profile most likely , you can check with right click on tray icon, then active power profile .

Since your on laptop ,there few thing you can do, enable idle saver which will switch power profile to more eco friendly one when idling .
See what profile shows in different circumstances (normal use, gaming use ) .
If you like you can disable the bitsum HP power profile when gaming (there option for it in game mode options) .

Those should help you and track what is happening , as it only the power profile and parking options which should affect temps and battery .
See how that works .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

What I generally recommend is using IdleSaver in conjunction with Gaming Mode (aka Bitsum Highest Performance power profile).

That way, when you go idle, for even seconds, your PC will switch to a more conservative power profile.

Now, keep in mind, any properly built PC should be able to handle even a 100% CPU load indefinitely, but there are many people out there who overclock, and even poorly manufactured PCs with inadequate cooling.

It's important to note that Process Lasso's Gaming Mode does *not* put a 100% load on the CPU by disabling core parking and frequency scaling. The CPU still executes HLT instructions and such, so still remains relatively cool. However, there may be a *marginal* increase in temperature when *IDLE* when in the Bitsum Highest Performance power plan, as compared to a more conservative power plan.

But, with or without Process Lasso, if the CPU is placed in a 100% load, the end temperature will be the same. You can verify this by stress testing for an extending period. In a worst case scenario, the maximum nominal operating temperature at 100% load is reached quicker in Gaming Mode because it started a few degrees warmer while idle.

Does this make sense?

EDIT: Please don't use utilities that directly edit the registry to change CPU parking settings ;). ParkControl does it the right way.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

One thing I would do just as a check so you know whats going on , with a HP or bitsum HP, see if your CPU clocks still are going down when idle (the speed at idle depends on CPU type/model) .
That shouldn't be a problem if enabled in game mode cause your CPU is not idling , but it good to know and you can change it if needed by lower the min % in process power manager >min process state .

I think your issue is parked cores though, but you just have to test this out.

Good thing is PL is very flexible and you can setup power plans for how you use your system .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Just saying, as it is Windows 7, core parking should not be enabled as it really don't park any core, but just hyper-threads. ;)

And ya, I also tested some day, by playing a games that are CPU bound and single thread, the another core will still getting parked by CPU itself, just not too often/aggressive like core-parking.
(for Windows 8.1 of cause, by testing the FPS, which showing CPU Boost to the highest single core Boost Frequency in a very short time that can't be monitoring by software. :))

You may just wait until Windows 10 is released, then switch over to getting a better performance than Windows 7, and also better version of core-parking to save power/reduce temperature. :D
(except you are running Chrome all the time, and also Optimus which not supported well by poor Intel... :P)

timillo

Today I set on turbo boots and the cpu got 90ºC (12 seconds) when it hit 83ºC (5minutes) before PL was installed. I tried to unistalled it but i got the same temps maybe something was changed in registry. Anyways, THANK YOU for all yours replys, I can say PL is a great performance boost but it would be great a "STOP-DEFAULT" button to use the PC in a very saving mode or a ignore PL changes mode.
I reserve W10 to install it when it cans and then i'll decide if install PL or not. Thank you guys

Also I unchecked Bitsum HP and Gaming mode and disable some things on PL but they are still the same temps.

edkiefer

Hi , Sounds like you got some kind of cooling issue , either bad paste, heat sink to CPU die or possible fan, dust issue which cleaning can help if you can get to it .

I can say if you just disable PL, by closing, anything setting, either defaults or you set "will" not be applied .

If you do uninstall for test, PL doesn't affect anything in registry to affect system and it cleans up correctly , so there nothing in reg that can affect , at least PL wise .
We just ran through bunch of tests and that is one of many .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Once you uninstall Process Lasso, *all* changes it made are gone. Specifically, the custom power plan it created for highest performance (Gaming Mode / Bitsum Highest Performance) is gone. Nothing of it remains. It makes no permanent system changes or registry tweaks.

However, that OTHER core parking utility in your screenshot (not ParkControl) you use DOES make permanent registry changes... If you did not re-enable core parking and CPU frequency scaling for the power plan you prefer to be in, be sure to do that.

Thus, once uninstalled, there is no way it could continue to impact temperatures, especially if you've reset your power plan config to default.

*However*, if you read my above theory about the idle-time CPU temperature being a few degrees warmer in Gaming Mode, then maybe after uninstalling Lasso, your CPU continued to be a little warmer than usual, at least for a little while... until it cooled off.

Again though, any PC that has a 100% sustained CPU load will eventually reach the *same temperature*, whether Process Lasso was ever there or not. It's only a question of how quickly it reaches that temperature. Thus, your PC would be prone to thermal problems if you do see any issues while using Process Lasso's Gaming Mode. In other words, a pre-existing thermal problem exists that, at worst, is caused to manifest earlier by Gaming Mode - but surely would have also manifested anyway the next time you had a sustained high CPU load, even if you never installed Process Lasso.

Jeremy Collake

And I suppose I should add this:

It's important for users to be aware of their power plan. I know the OP in this thread surely is, but for anyone else:

If you're using Process Lasso's Bitsum Highest Performance Power Plan as part of gaming mode, or have disabled core parking and CPU frequency scaling, then the result is *predictable*--- you get increased performance of bursting CPU loads, but this comes at the price of increased power consumption and marginally increased idle-time temperatures, and potentially quicker time in rise to maximum CPU temperature under a sustained load.

There is always a trade-off... and this is a perfectly fine and expected one for users who desire max performance, especially since Gaming Mode is designed to be invoked on-demand, and IdleSaver can be used to mitigate it when the PC goes idle.

However, for any user whose PC has insufficient cooling, or is overclocked to the point that it can't pass an hour long CPU stress test, then you might have problems... Not because of Process Lasso's Gaming Mode so much as the fact that you have a PC already 'over the line'. That's why ALL overclocking guides, or any PC builder, would recommend strongly to run a CPU stress test when you're done building the system. It HAS to be able to handle a sustained load indefinitely.

And if you've manually made the tweaks Process Lasso's Gaming Mode makes, disabling core parking and CPU frequency scaling, be sure to revert those changes. That's one reason we strongly discourage people using other utilities on the web to change core parking settings. They do so by manual registry edits, which is improper and less precise than ParkControl, which can apply these changes selectively to any power plan.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: timillo on July 04, 2015, 06:55:21 AM
Today I set on turbo boots and the cpu got 90ºC (12 seconds) when it hit 83ºC (5minutes) before PL was installed. I tried to unistalled it but i got the same temps maybe something was changed in registry. Anyways, THANK YOU for all yours replys, I can say PL is a great performance boost but it would be great a "STOP-DEFAULT" button to use the PC in a very saving mode or a ignore PL changes mode.
I reserve W10 to install it when it cans and then i'll decide if install PL or not. Thank you guys

Also I unchecked Bitsum HP and Gaming mode and disable some things on PL but they are still the same temps.
You can try ThrottleStop, which control the CPU much more detailed than Windows. ;)

If after you uninstalled Process Lasso and the temperature is still high, then it may be a coincidence that your CPU thermal paste need to be replaced.
Or you has updated your Nvidia graphic driver, which improved the performance.

Or it can be Nvidia graphic being enabled all the time, if you are Optimus system. :)