How might I do these things?

Started by Mark_Kratzer, May 20, 2015, 04:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_Kratzer

I just purchased a home site license with perpetual support.

I previously used a different utility to load balance my new machine and customize it for gaming.  But it is no longer working.

Questions about Processor Lasso:

(1)  How would I disabled all auto-tuning and simply assign all process affinities and priorities manually?

(2)  How would I have the software function in a "learn mode"?  Mean advise me of any new processes that launch for which I haven't created a profile?

(3)  Processor Lasso obviously sees my 6 cores.  How might I tell it that it is free to use cores: 0, 1, 2, 3; and not to touch 4 and 5?  Is there a configuration option for this?  Then, I would allow it to run say Pro-Balance just for the first 4 cores.  I want to reserve the last two to be used for hand assigned strategy games.

One reason I am keen to hand tune is that I have done so for years with good results.

With that said, I would like to leave at least two cores totally untouched by Processor Lasso automation; only to be used by me to hand assigned games.  Why?  My ASUS MOBO has the ability to do two nice things.  First, it can OC just specific cores, thus pushing then higher than a total CPU overclock.  Second, it can recognize specific process profiles and dynamically launch OCing only when needed for just the games I see a benefit.  So, if I cannot get complete control over Processor Lasso, then I cannot fully utilize my MOBO and CPU to deliver maximum gaming cycles.

Thanks for your help!

edkiefer

Quote from: Mark_Kratzer on May 20, 2015, 04:32:19 AM
I just purchased a home site license with perpetual support.

I previously used a different utility to load balance my new machine and customize it for gaming.  But it is no longer working.

Questions about Processor Lasso:

(1)  How would I disabled all auto-tuning and simply assign all process affinities and priorities manually?

(2)  How would I have the software function in a "learn mode"?  Mean advise me of any new processes that launch for which I haven't created a profile?

(3)  Processor Lasso obviously sees my 6 cores.  How might I tell it that it is free to use cores: 0, 1, 2, 3; and not to touch 4 and 5?  Is there a configuration option for this?  Then, I would allow it to run say Pro-Balance just for the first 4 cores.  I want to reserve the last two to be used for hand assigned strategy games.

One reason I am keen to hand tune is that I have done so for years with good results.

With that said, I would like to leave at least two cores totally untouched by Processor Lasso automation; only to be used by me to hand assigned games.  Why?  My ASUS MOBO has the ability to do two nice things.  First, it can OC just specific cores, thus pushing then higher than a total CPU overclock.  Second, it can recognize specific process profiles and dynamically launch OCing only when needed for just the games I see a benefit.  So, if I cannot get complete control over Processor Lasso, then I cannot fully utilize my MOBO and CPU to deliver maximum gaming cycles.

Thanks for your help!
Hi Mark
That's a handful of a question :) but good one .

1) First thing I would do it just run PL with default setting , it will only restraint processes set to normal and you can set it to not affect services if you want .

2) now to your question, "if" you really find need to micro manage (which you really shouldn't, even with what you posted ) .
If you right click on a process you can alter its priority or affinity by choosing/setting always section . If you change current section, on next reboot it will go back to stock, so use current for testing and always for permanent setting .
Just look under Probalance setting >advanced here you can alter what I posted above and many other changes ,like you could have affinity lowered by one CPU core when  restraint or random core choice .
You can exclude processes there to that you don't want probalance to act on and of course you could disable probalance totally, but I don't see need for that even with micro managing .

There many options there with descriptions when you mouse over them .

Hopefully this helps and just ask any specific question, someone will chime in if I missed it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Hi,

Ed handled many of your questions very well (thanks Ed!).

Too much user tuning can be detrimental. Process Lasso's ProBalance is pre-tuned, and it even took a while for us to get that right for all use cases, but after a decade of real-world use, it's definitely well tuned and proven now.

ProBalance *does* have an option to change CPU affinities when it acts, in addition to, or instead of, lowering the priority class. See it in the ProBalance Options Dialog - See the menu item Options / ProBalance Settings / Advanced Settings , then you'll see 'Change CPU affinity' in the dialog below (apologies for the large font, this is a high-res hybrid laptop with desktop scaling)..

Does that completely answer your question? Probably not. Process Lasso looks more at processes than cores, so you'd be setting up a lot of default CPU affinity rules to do what you desire.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Mark_Kratzer

Thank you, Jeremy and Ed.

BTW,  where is the HELP for which a shortcut was created in the Start Menu?

Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

It's not in the package, and that shortcut is an artifact that will get cleaned up in the next build.

We have CHM docs, but prefer to send people to the online docs, since they are more likely to be current: https://bitsum.com/docs/pl

EDIT: The docs are a target of major refactoring, we know there is work that needs to be done there.

Jeremy Collake

The FAQ is more recently updated.

Separate ProBalance docs have also been rewritten a bit, at least the overall concept.

The CHM docs are still available here, and are much better formatted: https://bitsum.com//docs/processlasso.chm . Drop them in the Process Lasso install folder and that legacy start menu shortcut will then work again.

Thanks for the heads up about this. They were removed in v7, a questionable decision, but apparently this start menu artifact remained.

UPDATE: We've decided to restore CHM docs to future builds, figuring they provide the most easily navigable documentation.

p.s. You can press F1 in the product as well, which will take you to the CHM docs if they exist on disk, or online docs if not.

Mark_Kratzer

Thank you for the CHM.  It is certainly convenient.  I'll read it tomorrow.

Jeremy Collake

The CHM was restored in v8.1, BTW.. however, you need to re-run the installer to get it.

I do need to update the CHM, it's not got the latest copies of the docs. I ran out of time and deferred that to 8.1.0.2, or whatever the next final will be (won't be long, another minor update while we/I work on larger projects).