[req] Terminate process after X amount of time after logon

Started by DeadHead, August 09, 2015, 03:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadHead

Topic. Could perhaps be added as a new type of watchdog rule?
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, yes I could add that.

However, my instinct tells me it'd be best to wait for the yet to be developed 'simple scripting language'...

BUT that's not here yet, and I hate deferring things to 'someday', so for *today* I think I could add it as a watchdog rule just fine. Let me think on it a bit more before I commit though.

Can you make a case as to why you need it, and why you believe other people would as well?

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

DeadHead

I can give you two simple examples:

1. I use a boot time analyzer that runs during boot and gives a small report after login to desktop. After this, the program keeps running in the background, taking away some ram and possibly some cpu time, when not really doing anything. Terminating the process won't affect functionality upon next reboot. In short, the program takes away resources with no real benefit to me.

2. Another program I use is a special background switcher, that switches backgrounds by grabbing images from the net after login. After that, it sits idle in the tray, wasting resources.

These are two very simple examples, I'm quite sure there are other scenarios where this functionality could be useful.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Yes, certainly. I will try to get it on in. I never doubted it had utility, just wanted to hear your use cases so I could better understand what you were doing.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.