[Req] Jump to file location from "Actions log" entries

Started by Coldblackice, July 27, 2015, 09:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

Could we get the ability to jump directly to file locations from entries in the "Actions log" (please!)?

I know we can do it from the top panel ("All processes"), but I'm often referring to the Actions log, even more often than the top panel. It'd be loads easier if we could jump to files on disk from the bottom/log panel instead of having to sort/search the top panel -- especially because often a process I'm trying to "catch" has already stopped executing, so I won't be able to jump to it from the top panel and instead have to search my comp for it manually.

(By the way, I love that the log panel shows the command-line for each entry, along with the "More info" of CPU and time stats! Very useful.)

edkiefer

I could be wrong but currently a process needs to be running to get path to open location AFAIK .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Hotrod

If the command line is recorded in the log entry, isn't the location already known? All we are missing is the ability to jump to that location.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I can add this, no problem ;).

BTW, you will *love* one new feature I am working on, can't mention it yet though. Totally revolutionary.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Quote from: edkiefer on July 27, 2015, 09:35:39 PM
I could be wrong but currently a process needs to be running to get path to open location AFAIK .

Like Hotrod mentions, if there's a log, then it should be simple to record the file location, as well.

Quote from: Hotrod on July 28, 2015, 01:15:44 PM
If the command line is recorded in the log entry, isn't the location already known? All we are missing is the ability to jump to that location.

That would be my guess, too.

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 28, 2015, 02:59:09 PM
Yes, I can add this, no problem ;).

BTW, you will *love* one new feature I am working on, can't mention it yet though. Totally revolutionary.

My sarcasm detector is having a hard time determining whether that winkie-face meant it was an honest statement or not ;)

Jeremy Collake

No, it's not sarcasm, it is trivial to add since I specifically record the executable pathname in the log.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 29, 2015, 02:04:31 AM
No, it's not sarcasm, it is trivial to add since I specifically record the executable pathname in the log.

K, awesome! Much appreciated. I refer to that lower pane log all the time, so it'll be really helpful to jump straight to the source. And I really love that command-line info is logged and shown there, as well; very helpful. Thanks!

DeadHead

I'd like to have more or less the same functionality in the Actions log window as in the All processes window, if possible.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Coldblackice

Quote from: DeadHead on August 01, 2015, 03:53:59 AM
I'd like to have more or less the same functionality in the Actions log window as in the All processes window, if possible.

Even better! Maybe even easier, too, duplicating that context menu into another panel.

Jeremy Collake

I hear you on duplicating the context menu of the processes tabs in the actions log. I agree, that would be helpful. Definitely I will keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure you both, and everyone, will be fully satisfied with my mid-range plans, which do something super-cool and will sort-of take care of this request. Yes, I'm being vague, so sorry. In the interim, I'll do what I can!

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 05, 2015, 12:28:11 PM
I hear you on duplicating the context menu of the processes tabs in the actions log. I agree, that would be helpful. Definitely I will keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure you both, and everyone, will be fully satisfied with my mid-range plans, which do something super-cool and will sort-of take care of this request. Yes, I'm being vague, so sorry. In the interim, I'll do what I can!

Thanks Jeremy, I'm excited for this!

If duplicating context menus isn't possible, at the very least, the "jump to file location" would still be very helpful. And then maybe at least a "jump to file in top pane"?

Actually, how about double-clicking! When you double-click an entry in the bottom pane, it either jumps to its location on disk, OR, jumps to its entry in the top pane.

Just brainstorming :)

Jeremy Collake

I've haven't forgot about this ;).

Note that if the process is running, when you single click on a log entry, it should auto-select that process in the upper pane.

Anyway, for complete coverage and duplication of the context menus, I'd have to do a bit of work, so will defer for a major update.

For the 'Jump to location on disk', there are some caveats I'll describe later, but it's generally not a problem, so will try to get it in this beta series.

Jeremy Collake

Alright, I've added this in to internal betas, but it will be a bit before I publish - lots of testing and code review to do.

The old log format included the command line, which *usually* includes the executable pathname as argument 0. However, this isn't always the case.

So, for robustness, I've expanded the log (new format) to include the executable pathname. There's also a new row in the actions pane log view, and LogViewer.

All in all, a decent size modification, but a good one for future additions.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 13, 2015, 03:11:59 PM
Alright, I've added this in to internal betas, but it will be a bit before I publish - lots of testing and code review to do.

The old log format included the command line, which *usually* includes the executable pathname as argument 0. However, this isn't always the case.

So, for robustness, I've expanded the log (new format) to include the executable pathname. There's also a new row in the actions pane log view, and LogViewer.

All in all, a decent size modification, but a good one for future additions.

You are the man! Sweet!

Jeremy Collake

Anytime ;).

I'm looking to go ahead and release an early beta here today, but keep in mind it's still an early beta. So much work in a change that affects this much of the code.