Not enough memory error

Started by bigshwan1, February 08, 2016, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshwan1

Good morning all.  Since installing Process Lasso (v 6.6.0.78 is the current version I am using),  I have run into an inability to open programs every few weeks.  I get a "not enough memory error" when trying to open the programs.  After restarting the system, it returns to normal operation for a few weeks.  I have tried doing a regedit to the IRPStackSize, but it only seems to delay the problem slightly.  Any idea what may be causing that, or what adjustments I can make to prevent it from happening?  Thank you in advance for your help. 

edkiefer

Hi

First, I would upgrade to latest version, which is 8.9 now , a lot of bug fixes since 6.6

I am not sure on your issue, but more info for sure would be needed.

OS, Hardware, memory amount ?
How much free memory is PL and task-manager saying when you run into this issue?
Also do you see a process that is growing in memory use or very large.
Bitsum QA Engineer

bigshwan1

I figured I would start with the general question to see if it was a common occurrence.  I will gather those details when I am at home and reply.

Jeremy Collake

This is definitely not a common occurrence. I have never heard such a report before. I do not believe it is related to Process Lasso. I think you have an application that is leaking virtual memory. If you open the Windows Resource Monitor, it should be apparent what process is leaking that virtual memory. Be sure to take a look at total virtual memory consumption (e.g. Commit Size or Private Bytes), as the working set will only have included memory that hasn't been paged out.

Also be sure to update to the latest version, as Ed mentioned.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yup, another ways is having Windows Task Manager running, then you monitor the Committed Memory(it is at the Performance tab), when it is high enough(means too high than your RAM usage), start closing Programs.
After the programs is closed and the Committed Memory is dropped, then that software should be blame.

For workaround, I suggests you to increase your Page File size first, after you find out which is causing it, then just change it back to whatever it is. ;)
---
And ya, they is a smaller chance that it is caused by driver, this is headache as it is not easy to find out which is causing it, but you may try update your driver first, normally something that process a lot of data like Graphic driver and Hard disk driver should be the cause. :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: AlonzosBow on February 25, 2016, 07:16:37 AM
Usually this is to do with there not being enough Virtual Memory. I had this issue a while back and it was because I had a custom set. Changed it to system managed size and it fixed it. It doesnt matter how much RAM you have, your system will always used Virtual memory for something.

That is very true. Usually this error is only seen when a person not only runs out of RAM, but also virtual memory in it's entirety. Now, it depends on how active the memory use is, for instance if all the pages are actively being referenced, thus keeping them in RAM, then the user can get this warning. Alternatively, if it's a  memory leak where 'forgotten' virtual memory was left allocated, that memory gets paged out UNTIL the page file(s) fill up and/or disk space goes to 0. Then the user gets this warning.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.