3.84 (x32) sort order of CPU (%) column not updated

Started by mbrazil, April 26, 2010, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbrazil

This is kind of hard to describe, so bear with me. ::) After installing 3.84 (x32) today, I've found that, with the CPU (%) column selected for sort order in the All Processes tab, the order of the process list is not updated when processes increase or decrease their CPU usage. Depending on which column was previously selected, the sort order is partially adjusted initially by the CPU usage of the active processes only. Processes not active at the instant the column is selected are not resorted from the previous sort order. While individual process usage values (%) are updated normally at the selected time interval, the order in which the processes are listed remains the same as it was when the column was first selected. In other words, the sort order doesn't change as it used to when processes increase or decrease their CPU usage. So, when processes increase or decrease their CPU usage levels, they no longer move up or down in the list, which defeats the purpose of being able to select the CPU (%) column for sorting.

I know this description is kind of confusing and somewhat redundant, but I couldn't come up with a better way to describe the situation.  ;)

Mike

Jeremy Collake

Fixed in v3.84.1 (now available). Sorry about this. It was a typo in the code. Since I am obsessed with using the minimal amount of CPU, I have clauses to not resort the listview unless it was absolutely necessary. With the new Active Processes tab, I added a new clause to be sure not to resort when the All Processes tab when it wasn't visible. Unfortunately, the new condition was inverse of what it should have been due to the typo ;(.

Thanks for reporting the problem, and I'm glad to say I already got to it :)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

mbrazil

I see you're right on top of things, as usual. Thanks, Jeremy.

Jeremy Collake

Only on top of it because of a user report like yours ;). Someone had emailed me about the issue a couple days ago. Sometimes these things slip by, its inevitable. Of course, a little sort problem is no big deal, its larger functional problems I keep a closer eye out for. Still, I'm notorious for letting GUI anomalies slip by my testing.. I am trying to do better, but its so difficult to test my own code. That's why its so important that users let me know of bugs when they notice them.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

parkd1

I was going to report this but you have beating me to it. I do not have internet where I live. The city I live in sucks for internet. I do get on about twice a week if I can. I will install the new update. Thanks for the fast fix.