Process Lasso terminating git processes

Started by TheodoreLogan, October 24, 2015, 05:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheodoreLogan

Hey, I have a quick high level bug report :)

I recently noticed that git had become ridiculously slow and was using 100% of my CPU. Whilst investigating I noticed that Process Lasso was terminating git.exe and its child processes as fast as it could, causing it to respawn multiple times a second and use 100% of the CPU. Adding the processes to the exclusion list didn't stop it so next I shut down the process lasso service and then exited process lasso, but it continued to terminate the processes. Finally the only way I found to resolve the issue was by completely uninstalling Process Lasso.
Sorry I can't give logs/in-depth info but my priority was getting git to run :)

Windows 10 x64 - i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz - 16 GB RAM - AMD R9 290

edkiefer

thanks for report .

can you give path of git.exe ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I also use git, so also use it with Process Lasso.

First, Lasso *never* just terminates something w/o being instructed to, so there is some rule telling it to do such, if Lasso was doing this.

So, check for a disallowed process rule (or Watchdog rule) that is causing it to act on git.exe. Check these, being sure to remember they may match on pathnames too (depends on setting). The Lasso log will tell you, but I guess it's gone now. Let us know..

Also note that:

1. It is ProcessGovernor.exe that applies process rules, a silent background process. You must close this to completely stop Lasso. Normally you are prompted when you exit the GUI, but can remember that choice, so may not have been.
2. Git can be very CPU intensive itself, so please check the Lasso logs to make sure that Process Lasso was actually terminating it (it will also tell you why it was terminated, what rule caused such).

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

By any chance have you ever used the terminate option on git.exe ?

If so and you happened to use terminate always option it will then put git.exe into the disallowed process list . once started it closes right away .

excluding git.exe would not change this either, just probalance feature .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Talking about this, maybe we should adding exclude to more feature? :)
---
Back to topic, I think it should not causing any more issues for reinstalling Process Lasso now, unless it is some bug that caused by Windows 10 with monitoring processes. :D

Jeremy Collake

No, it's no bug with Win10.

I use Win10+Lasso+Git as literally my development workstation, so we're pretty confident it's just an accidentally set rule by the user (probably 'Terminate Always').

TheodoreLogan

wow that was a lot of quick replies!
I've reinstalled (fresh config) and everything seems to be working great. I probably did something stupid and added git to the disallowed list like you said, if it ever happens again I'll be sure to get more info.

Cheers guys!

Jeremy Collake

Glad you got it resolved!

Apologies if we (I) got a little too aggressive at wanting to resolve the problem, it's our nature. Better than non-responsive ;).

BenYeeHua

At least we are not trying to say it is GIT adding itself into Process Lasso Disallow Processes List. ;D

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on October 24, 2015, 10:00:32 PM
At least we are not trying to say it is GIT adding itself into Process Lasso Disallow Processes List. ;D

That is a reference to an irrelevant thread from a few month's ago in case anyone is wondering.

Let's try to keep it clean guys. It confuses end users, who just want specific and concise answers.