NEW Feature: Auto-restart/terminate of memory leaking or live-locked processes

Started by Jeremy Collake, June 02, 2010, 01:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

From this blog post: http://processlasso.blogspot.com/2010/06/something-to-get-excited-about-new.html

This is the new core engine feature I was speaking of. As you can see, it is quite powerful. It allows you to restart or terminate a process if it utilizes too many CPU cycles or memory for too long a period of time. This happens in live-locks and memory leaks, both of which are unfortunately common in the Windows application world.

I am going to be releasing this new beta v3.89.0 very soon now (within hours). It is a beta, so some polishing remains. Note that more options will be added to this watchdog in the future -- many more. As a side note, a heck of a lot more has changed in this beta. I am making rapid progress to v4.

I expect that power users and server administrators will find this new process watchdog most useful. Enjoy ;). Do leave a comment if you like this feature. I like to know I'm headed in the right direction.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Refresh the image for the v3.89.1 beta dialog. It automatically hides/shows appropriate options for the watchdog type. Virtual memory monitoring is included in this next version. Of course, a lot of work still remains, but polishing...

Scott

I like this feature.  I have a couple processes I'll add rules for.  Hopefully, PL is tough enough to kill these annoying things when they get out of hand.

Jeremy Collake

It should work fine (I say as I jinx myself) ;p. The code was largely rewritten in v3.99.0 alpha (vs the last build). I changed my mind on the way I wanted to implement it, always preferring the code that balances robustness, simplicity, and maintainability. Last tested prior to release, it seemed to do just fine. Since release 30+ hours ago, I've been 'knocked out'. After long periods of hard work, it seems my body and/or brain eventually need a rest, lol.

I tell you what, things here at Bitsum are busier than ever before. It is a great thing, and what I've always worked for. However, it adds a whole new level of pressure and responsibility. I am rising to the challenge to the best of my ability. *IF* I can sustain this growth, and that is quite questionable, then maybe someday Bitsum will be more than one person ;). Of course, I suppose its true I already have affiliates and partners to a limited extent.