Main Menu

cad

Started by wkuiaha, February 24, 2016, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkuiaha

all,
are there any settings that can assist running cad on PL. I'm told that most cad programs like to run on a single core. is this possible and can PL do it?
thanks for any help.

edkiefer

Quote from: wkuiaha on February 24, 2016, 10:51:56 PM
all,
are there any settings that can assist running cad on PL. I'm told that most cad programs like to run on a single core. is this possible and can PL do it?
thanks for any help.
Hi , First you have to think of performance from a system wide workload . Meaning a single app can be bogged down if many other processes are running in back ground at the time your trying to run a specific app.
I don't know on CAD programs being single core, I really doubt that, maybe many are single threaded but anyway, you can not control that, that is the code of the app . What you can do is setup the rest of your system to give that app the best chance of running well.
PL out of the box will work great with most any app , you could set your cad app to use a app power plan of bitsum but out of box PL will work.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

If your question is, Can Process Lasso make a single-threaded application multi-threaded, then the answer is NO.

And I believe this is what you are asking, whether you know it or not.

Many programs only use one core because they are primarily single threaded. They may have multiple threads, but only one real work horse doing some intensive operation. Sometimes these operations just can't be broken up into smaller parts, so they have to be done sequentially, like a math problem. The application itself has to be multi-threaded in order to make use of all available CPU cores. No external application can come in and change this.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

I used to use 3dMax and while that not CAD I think it very similar in foundation , back in 200x it had multi-core support from what I remember.

Also my comment of single threaded, is not what I meant. Very few app are single threaded.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

While it is true that very few apps are single-threaded these days, there are still many operations that require sequential computation, and thus are *effectively* single-threaded for periods. Some things you just can't break up into multiple threads.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Or for stability, I guess?

As I learn from the ethic, software that used for building something will also be blame if something bad happen that caused by the software... :P