Optimize Performance for Overclocked Core i7-3770K?

Started by janshim, March 13, 2016, 10:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janshim

Hello!

This is my first post. I am a licensed user of Process Lasso Pro for a number of years now. It's installed on my Asus Maximus V Gene, Core i7-3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair overclocked 1866MHz RAM and the machine is mainly used for photo editing (no gaming). Photo editing software include 32-bit Paintshop Pro, 64-bit Photoshop CC 2015, DxO Optics Pro 10. Batch concurrent processing of 21 megapixel raw files into 16-bit TIFF and 8-bit JPEG files take a huge toll on CPU overheads. 

Currently running version 8.9.6.8 x64 of Process Lasso Pro in ProBalance mode with SmartTrim enabled and 'Bitsum HIghest Performance' ParkControl setting (all disabled). There are so many other settings I don't understand and was wondering if I should tinker with them. Where do I even begin if there's more performance I can squeeze out of this machine.

Jan

edkiefer

Quote from: janshim on March 13, 2016, 10:06:49 PM
Hello!

This is my first post. I am a licensed user of Process Lasso Pro for a number of years now. It's installed on my Asus Maximus V Gene, Core i7-3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair overclocked 1866MHz RAM and the machine is mainly used for photo editing (no gaming). Photo editing software include 32-bit Paintshop Pro, 64-bit Photoshop CC 2015, DxO Optics Pro 10. Batch concurrent processing of 21 megapixel raw files into 16-bit TIFF and 8-bit JPEG files take a huge toll on CPU overheads. 

Currently running version 8.9.6.8 x64 of Process Lasso Pro in ProBalance mode with SmartTrim enabled and 'Bitsum HIghest Performance' ParkControl setting (all disabled). There are so many other settings I don't understand and was wondering if I should tinker with them. Where do I even begin if there's more performance I can squeeze out of this machine.

Jan
That's a good starting point and should work great . PL is designed so by default it does most balancing of priorities automatic. You should not need to manually set infinity or priorities.
One thing, if you want to use smartTrim add your photo editing app to its exclude list , you don't want to trim the app your running IMO.
Bitsum QA Engineer

janshim

Quote from: edkiefer on March 13, 2016, 10:36:47 PM
That's a good starting point and should work great . PL is designed so by default it does most balancing of priorities automatic . You should not need to manually set infinity or priorities .
One thing, if you want to use smartTrim add your photo editing app to its exclude list , you don't want to trim the app your running IMO .

Thank you very much!

Jeremy Collake

I would reiterate what Ed said. Generally you want to avoid any additional tweaking. You're more likely to do more harm than good in an attempt to eek out marginal additional benefits. Just let it run in it's default configuration for optimal performance. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend using SmartTrim at all unless you are sure you need it. SmartTrim is disabled by default because it's not something I recommend for most users. It is much safer/better than other RAM optimizers, but still isn't a good idea to use if not needed. With 16GB of RAM, you really shouldn't require it, and it's better to let the virtual memory manager do it's job without interference.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.