Hard drive IO control feature like Diskeeper or systemmechanic Accelewrite

Started by kojirole, April 27, 2016, 05:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kojirole

It would be nice if Processlasso can control the way hard disk I/O working to increase pc performance and reduce hard disk fragment like Diskeeper or other apps .I dont know is it possible but i think this feature is useful and will make process lasso better . Thanks for reading my topic and sorry for my bad at English.

edkiefer

Quote from: kojirole on April 27, 2016, 05:19:46 PM
It would be nice if Processlasso can control the way hard disk I/O working to increase pc performance and reduce hard disk fragment like Diskeeper or other apps .I dont know is it possible but i think this feature is useful and will make process lasso better . Thanks for reading my topic and sorry for my bad at English.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, if i follow what those app do, its mainly repositioning data on HDD at best place for fast access.
The thing that is a defrag type module would be needed and with move to SSD, I am not sure what optimizes can be had there.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

So here is my opinion on this.

SM AW and DiskKeeper are both a bit antiquated these days. Sure, it's still important to defragment your hard drive, but Windows will do that automatically. SM AW (please don't use other brand names here) is a bit different and has questionable utility. It probably is effective in some cases, but it's on the margin. It was acquired from a smaller company that I am not sure I should name.

So we have a situation where HDDs themselves are going to be extinct in the next decade. SSDs are the future. Sure, today, HDDs still have better price-per-GB value, but even that will change soon. After all, there's a lot less manufacturing that goes into SSDs once you get past the NAND chips, which are mass-produced. HDDs have all these mechanical parts and such I mean. So, it's bound to happen that SSDs replace HDDs entirely in the coming years.

As we all know, especially me, I have limited resources. So, I have to choose what I want to focus on. Thus, I intend to stay focused on real-time CPU and power optimization, and not presently get into any disk optimization, which I think is an industry already well covered.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

To answer my own question on SSD optimization and general defrag options, I found this article.
I am sure there are others but this answers many questions, as regard to options and improvements.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?page=2
Bitsum QA Engineer

kojirole

thanks for explaining in detail for me.May i have one other question. Does process lasso probalance working fine with AMD processor?
Sorry for my bad at English

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: kojirole on April 29, 2016, 01:55:21 PM
thanks for explaining in detail for me.May i have one other question. Does process lasso probalance working fine with AMD processor?
Sorry for my bad at English

It actually works BEST on AMD processors ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.