Question about updates. [For Giveaway of the Day license recipients]

Started by typerextreme, August 18, 2010, 10:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typerextreme

Hi, I have downloaded and installed the PRO version of Process Lasso, via a giveawayoftheday.com  sometime in the past. I was wondering what I do about updating, it has been notifying me of updates, I've been able to successfully install them and it has stayed registered, but I'm not sure how much longer it will continue to do so. If i'm not mistaken we get the minor updates but not major ones. Am I wrong?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, you *do* get the minor updates, and they will work up until version 4. At that point, your license will no longer be valid -- so be careful ;). The good news is that the Free edition will still work, it just doesn't have all the advanced features and may solicit you to purchase from time to time.

For other readers, updates to this build can always be found here:

v3.84.7 (or whatever the latest build is in the future):
32-bit: http://www.bitsum.com/files/trial/prolasso.zip
64-bit: http://www.bitsum.com/files/trial/prolasso64.zip

I'm very sorry for the confusion, and please let me know if you've lost your license by emailing me at support@bitsum.com
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I'm sorry, I actually misread your question at first and edited the above to reflect that.

typerextreme

I have not had any problems updating before, I just noticed that my version is 3.84.3 , when the site says 3.84.7 , and was wondering if I had hit a stopping point in updates or something. If I install that 3.84.7 software from the link you gave above, will it keep my license?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I was thinking about why you got update notifications too. I am investigating, but haven't found any anomaly in the database or scripts that would result in that. I wonder if you are actually using the Free Edition, or a 'corrected' GOTD edition I published. The Free Edition is highly function and not very naggy, so you could be using it and not even notice.

Answer: Yes, if you install the build at that link your GOTD license will be preserved, assuming one is installed. Even if it was installed long ago and you somehow got switched to the Free Edition, it will come back (so long as the product wasn't uninstalled at any point). Like I said, if its lost, just email me - no problem. Go for it, I'm here for immediate assistance.

typerextreme

I can assure you it's not the free edition because all of the features are unlocked, i do not receive a "nag" screen every time i sign on to windows, and if i try to go to help>activate this software it tells me it is already activated. Also, the help>about screen says "Thank you for activating this software!"

It could be corrected because I received the software in the most recent GOTD (if you've done it in the past).  If it makes any difference to your searching, i'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. It's a Gateway ML6720. I've upgraded the RAM to 2gb.

Don't know if that helps any.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, that explains it. What you have is the Bitsum Activated Trial edition (the same edition that is at the link I gave you for the update). This isn't an edition I published much, but it did exist for use in special cases. I made a special variant of it for GOTD. The special variant didn't work with updates, but this normal 'Activated Trial' edition did. So, that's what it is....

Part of v4 was reducing all these variations. Now everything is the Bitsum Activated Trial Edition. No more having to build and test so many editions, whew ;)

typerextreme

Thanks alot, so if i'm not mistaken 3.84.7 is probably the last version i'll get. Since you are already performing testing on the v4 beta.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: typerextreme on August 20, 2010, 12:44:10 AM
Thanks alot, so if i'm not mistaken 3.84.7 is probably the last version i'll get. Since you are already performing testing on the v4 beta.

Well, if you want to know a secret: You will be able to update all the way to v3.99 release candidate 1 (rc1)... So ;). Add a 'beta' sub-folder to path (last) and you've got the URL to the latest beta at all times. You can at least get a near-v4 build for free. However, it would be beta. The free build really isn't that bad, especially in v4 since I reduced nag annoyance a lot. Also, I do have licenses with short-term updates available for less than $10. I gotta make some money, else I'd give it to everyone, I really would. I care more about developing than profiting, but alas the world forces me to pay rent and buy food for my family, lol ;)